Hi, I'm 17 years old and recently I have been diagnosed with Sheuermann’s disease. I have always had problems with my back and as I was growing up they were becoming more severe. My parents thought that it was because of the bad posture that had developed because of my bad habits, I tried improving my habits but it didn’t fix my back. I went to the doctor when I started having heavy back pain. Can you tell me more about this disease, its causes and treatment?

Scheuermann’s disease or Scheuermann’s kyphosis is a condition which mainly affects adolescents and it is marked by rounding of the thoracic vertebral column to the front. Thoracic vertebrae are creating an arch-like formation which is more rounded than the normal spine and it keeps on progressing till the adulthood. Scheuermann’s disease is caused by changes during the development of the vertebrae. In Scheuermann’s back sections of the vertebrae are developing normally while the front sections are falling back in development which causes the kyphosis. The reason for this is unknown, it is thought that scheuermann’s disease has some genetic background. There are several ways of treating this condition. If the symptoms are mild then simple workout to strengthen the back muscles will prevent the disease from progressing, also, since the function of the heart and the lungs can be in danger physical activities which improve the overall status of the cardiovascular system are recommended. If the disease has progressed then underarm braces and surgery might be suggested. At this stage it is very important to follow the advices of your doctor and hope that it will come out for the best. Good luck.

I have been diagnosed with Old Schuemanns disease and I am 41 year old female, I have always had back pain , but doctor's put my back pain down to my large breasts. It was only after a month of excruiating back pain that they decided to do extensive Xrays that the problem was diagnosed...I cant seem to find out much about this disease, can you please help me.
Katrina