Hi, I am a thirty two years old woman. Six months ago I found out that I am pregnant. This knowledge has made me quite happy. However, recently a problem occurred. A change of the left part of my face has appeared. I can not move it. The doctor diagnosed me with Bell's palsy. Although I am sure that the therapy the doctor has prescribed me will help me, I would like to know something more about Bell's palsy during pregnancy.

Hi, Bell's palsy is caused by function failing of the facial nerve. The characteristic of this condition is facial dropping of the affected half of the face. Bell's palsy has been found to be the most common cause of the acute facial nerve paralysis. The origin of the creation of this illness was not known until recently, but is now linked to Lyme disease and herpes simplex. What happens is that the facial nerve gets inflamed. It should not surprise you that Bell's palsy has occurred while you are pregnant. You see, this illness is more common with pregnant than non pregnant women. It is good that you have visited the doctor as soon as you have noticed the change. The immediate treatment is needed so that Bell's palsy would withdraw. If this is the case, the complete recovery is made within several weeks. In some cases several months are needed for the recovery and in small percentage Bell's palsy leaves some kind of deficiency during a lifetime.