In last few weeks I was forced to find out that twitching, weakness, or paralysis of the face are symptoms of a disorder involving the facial nerve. Unfortunately, my sister got this problem and I saw it for the first time. I learn that abnormal movement or paralysis of the face can result from infection, injury, or tumors. She has a problem with Bell’s palsy, so I want to find out more about it. Can you tell me more about this, because I want to understand her problem completely?

The most common cause of facial weakness, which comes on suddenly is referred to as Bell's palsy. This disorder is probably due to the body's response to a virus. That happens in reaction to the virus the facial nerve within the ear, or temporal bone swells. This pressure on the nerve in the bony canal damages it in case of Bell’s palsy. In order to be sure that this is the cause of the facial weakness, special set of questions should be asked. After an examination of the head, neck, and ears, a series of tests may be performed, but I guess your sister is already diagnosed with Bell’s palsy. I believe you would like to hear more about diagnosis, prognosis, or treatment of Bell's palsy. The three questions most often asked by the patient are what the cause is, when recovery could be expected, and what can be done to bring about the best recovery at the earliest possible moment. In order to answer these questions, her doctor must perform an extensive evaluation to determine the cause. It must be concluded which area of the facial nerve is involved, so that the best treatment can be prescribed.