My wife has some strange problem with her face. Her left side of the face looks like droopy. She has no control of the muscles on that side of the face. Sometimes she even drools. I don't mind but it looks like she is embarrassed even by me. She is 44 years old. Doctor told her that it is caused by inflammation of some nerve and that her condition is called Bell's palsy syndrome. Why does it happen and what is it?

It is rare kind of disorder which affects nerves in persons face. Under the influence of this disorder facial muscles are paralyzed or weakened. That is why the drooling effect is common. But this condition doesn't last long and it goes away by itself. Doctors are uncertain about the actual cause, they believe that it can be anything that irritates the facial nerve. It can be caused by injury, infections, diabetes, fly or bad cold etc.