I have a question and I would appreciate if somebody would with experience with benzaclin would answer it. I am 19 female and have pimples on my cheek, chin and forehead. I have very sensitive skin, so I was wondering if benzaclin would be good for me. I heard or read somewhere that it dries skin completely.
Any advice?

Hey there,
Benzaclin is efficient acne treatment. It's containes ingredients (antibiotic clindamycin, antibacterial agent benzoyl peroxide) that attack the bacteria that causes acne. However this bacteria can become resistant to benzaclin, then your doctor will have you stop using benzaclin. Common side of benzaclin usage is dry skin… I use good moisturizer. It felt even itchy at the beginnig (the first few days), but after a week just dry skin. Some feel even skin irritation, redness, peeling or sunburn! I consulted my doctor and she said It is ok to use it. I guess the best is to talk to your doctor… maybe benzaclin is too strong medication for you. It can cause severe colitis- symptoms include bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramps ... Did you know it may bleach hair or colored fabric?! Huh… when I read that it made it think… anyway it works for me… talk to your doc…he’ll have to prescribe you benzaclin anyway. Maybe you should consume more B5 vitamin… it helps prevent acne.
Good luck with your pimples!

I have sensitive skin prone to drying, too, and use Benzaclin once a day, in the morning (it can bleach fabrics), in a fairly light coat. I use a mild oil-free moisturizer a few minutes after application, and I'm good to go. I don't experience overdrying until the product gets close to its expiration. (It's supposed to last 12 weeks, but I find that at about week 10 my skin begins drying out and my acne worsens. Then I just mix up a new batch and I'm good to go again.) I've found it very effective for black/whiteheads and small pimples. Note: It does not treat cystic acne.

it does dry out skin only if you dont moisturize! i use it & have VERYY! sensitive skin.

I use something like it and my skin is always very nice. The only thing is that it does dry your skin out quite a bit so the best thing I would recommend is to use a light lotion like something along the lines of a non-comedogenic thing. I can't recall the name of it though but I know that it's very very good for helping moisturize your skin. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's a lotion that rehydrates your skin but it's for people with sensitive skin.

Cetaphil! (get the Facial Moisturizer with SPF-15 for the daytime) It's non-comedogenic (does not clog pores) and intended for sensitive skin (no fragrance, little if any alcohol). I often use Dove Deep Moisture cream before bed because it is a little thicker and I've found that my skin stays hydrated for the entire next day. It's also non-comedogenic but not necessarily for sensitive skin as it contains more alcohol and is scented. Whole-heartedly recommend Benzaclin though!

To be honest, I would use something a little gentler. Maybe even a topical cream from the store. What have you used in the past?

Ask your dermetologist for a sample before getting the prescription filled!!!! They typically have a closet full of samples for the most commonly prescribed acne medication. That way you can try it out for a few weeks to see how your skin does with it. I used it in the past and it was great.

Another great acne medication is Cleocin T (Clindamycin phosphate) which I found to be less drying than the Benzaclin.

Is there even something out there that's gentler than Cetaphil? I thought that it was the gentlest cleanser/lotion out there on the market. I think the only thing that's even better for your skin or gentler is just plain water. Were you thinking of something else?