Hi! Can you help me with some information about diabetes, and in particular what diet is the best for diabetes? My mother in law is coming to stay with my family for two months soon, and she has diabetes. I have really no idea what to expect, but I think that diabetics have some limitations on what they can eat? I am hoping that you can help me get a little more prepared!

First of all, which type of diabetes does she have, and does she receive insulin injections? If that is the case, she might just eat anything - I know a lot of diabetics do, though too much sugar is definitely detrimental, some diabetics feel that the insulin will simply compensate for that. In principle, what is healthy for people without diabetes is also healthy for those with diabetes. I think you should simply ask your mom in law directly what she does and does not eat, so you can prepare. That will make her feel loved and cared for! And you can go grocery shopping together with her for the first few times, so that you are sure there are plenty of foods that are appropriate for her.