Hi I had a fusion just over two weeks ago and a plate fitted, The dressing has been removed and I expected a boot or cast but just have a flat sandal. The only instructions I've been given is to go back in 4 weeks for xrays and never to walk witout  the sandal. But reading other threads people seem to be placed in a cast or boot and told not to walk around and sit and keep their foot up??? So just wondering what I should be doing. Thanks.

Hello, Janet!  How is your foot feeling since you have had the procedure done?  I know different surgeons do different things as far as followup care goes.  I had a rotator cuff repair a couple of years back and thought I would start rigorous physical therapy right after it, just as other people I knew did.  Instead, I didn't start any PT for almost two months, then it was gentle, passive therapy to start with.  I healed just fine like the people I knew that went through the tough PT.  So I would venture to say that your physician has his own way of doing things that work for his other patients who had the sandal instead of the boot.  Hope that you heal well and stay pain-free!

Thanks - it's feeling much better now - I had to go see my doc and it turned out it has an infection so I think that's why it was feeling more and more uncomfortable - I have antibiotics now and need to rest it for longer. So in general I'm not meant to be doing too much moving around just yet- just enough to keep my circulation going.