Hi, I was diagnosed with binocular diplopia when I went to doctor because of the double vision that I’ve been having lately. I know little about this disease because it appeared suddenly. Is it true that it indicates many serious conditions?

Hi, binocular diplopia is a double vision, which appears when both eyes don’t work properly, when they are pointing at slightly different angles. It usually stops when you cover only one eye. Yes, it is true that binocular diplopia can indicate a serious condition. For example, it could be sign of thyroid disease that affects the external eye muscles, diabetes, aneurysm, multiple sclerosis, disease of the arteries that supply blood to the brain… Don’t worry before you find a cause of your binocular diplopia, because it doesn’t have to mean that you have one of those conditions. It can be treated with wearing glasses, eye exercises or with surgery. It is much easier for children to treat binocular diplopia, because their eyes are not formed completely yet. Find a cause as sooner as possible, and start treating it!