I really need advice. I am with this girl for 3 months now… she told me at the beginning she has bipolar disorder and is on medication, but somehow I didn’t take that as serious as I could. Although signs of bipolarism are more and more visable to me (I didn’t pay any attention to that at the beginning), I still like that girl, no matter what. It is just very strange and new to me … sometimes she feels like she wants to have family with me, 5 minutes later she doesn’t wants me near… I do not know how should I react… Other vise, I think I am very stabile person and very understanding. I would like to be near her and help her, but don’t know how.

Hello there,
Wooow, you are one of the most understanding and loving persons I met on web… I think you are helping her already by being there, loving and supporting her. It is hard lots of times with bipolar person, but you must understand there are two extremities and non of them is down to the ground… so best for bipolar person is to have stable person (as you are) on her or his side. It is best to talk to her, explain how you feel. Do not be afraid to show emotions…
Good luck with your love!

I think maybe my boyfriend is bipolar

hey i am BIpolar and i think taht anyone who can deal with our feelings and us is being helpful. 8)

hello i was looking at this and thought i would offer some insight
my name is mike and i have been dating a bi-polar for over a year we were ingaged for six months but called it off due to an arguementand we got back together i am a really understanding guy and she means the world to me the desease is just something you learn to live with and i have come to accept it as a querk of her beautiful personality and it in no way hinders our relationship
but just a little advice for all of you who are just starting to date bis it is odd at first but you take it a day at a time and you have to relize that when they get angry(sometimes without apparent reason) they will say things they dont mean or will regret

all in all you have to remember it is a uniqueness they have not a curse or a burden it is what makes them all a different person and i have grown to kinda like those with this medical "gift" because there randomness is always means for an entertaining time
well thank you for letting me bore you hope this helps someone
if anyone has any unique or odd questions i am an unofficial knowit all about bipolar and dont be afraid to ask sometime

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

i have bipolar and it's hard to find a girl that understands me.

it's good for her that you are so understanding

you know The doctor's told me i was bipolar although i doubt i am just think it's the stuff in my life but my actions and doing's are signs of bipolar. Me and my bf have been together for almost 8 months on and off now. And ill tell u what, all he does is try to be there for me the best way he can but it also very hard for him.And sometimes i am afraid im going to loose him becuz i just am so mean to him all i can say is have patience with her and just understand bipolar ppl are sexually active. so if she goes on a sexual outburst if u really love her u will be here for her:p

Well, I'll tell you what, I have some odd questions, but it seems your e-mail was edited by the moderator, so I will ask here.

I am hung up on this guy I'm dating like I can't understand, I can and have handled his ups and downs. The only problem is he is worried about me. He thinks his Bipolarism is comprmising me. What do I do? I mean I very nearly love the guy and he thinks our relationship will and is making me unhappy; that is as far from true as Cancun is from Calvary. I tell him and I really doubt he believes me because he keeps saying it. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Is bipolarism genetic? My girlfriends mom is and Im wondering if she is as well.

well 1st I've actually been dating a Bipolar girl for over 3 years now and we've been engaged for an additional 8 months from that...so i am not perfect on the subject i can only help certain cases, but the best thing to do in a depressed mood would be to build her up while she is depressed, because that is actually the most dangerous part of bipolar as far as I'm concerned, assurance is the best thing you can do for some one that you love that thinks she is actually hurting you...there is a recent study that shows depressants don't help AT ALL with bipolars it involve over 300 people with this trait. but i would also suggest instead of asking people so much go buy a book or a tape set that helps you with it...they are expensive but they will improve your relationship and your knowledge...one more important thing there is always something that can fix the mood and something that caused it the more you are around her and try and find it the better you become....if u get to the root as soon as u notice the problem that they are having whether to anxious(causes anger usualy or scared) or depressed (sadness) the easier it is to counteract it but its team work and will require alot of opening up and trial and error/ reading hope i help someone...it even helps me to put my thought down...

I've been with the same girl for almost 8 months now, and lately it's been nothing but hell. I've tried to walk away from her but its been impossible because I love her so much. Here's a brief history summary, and any insight or advice would be much appreciated, as it is much needed...
We began just being friends, then it amounted to best friends, we spent everyday together, 24/7 and she eventually dumped her girlfriend of 5 months. Not long after, I moved into her townhouse (just as a friend, although, we were in the stages of dating). At the time, she was on Zoloft, and I think because she thought she was doing so well, and was so happy, she could go off it. We continued going to couples therapy and it seemed to help, only now, she's been off her meds for 3 months, and its unbearable. I walk on eggshells with her everyday. I'm afraid to say the littlest thing. She gets so violent and flips out for no reason, she cries, and screams, and throws things. And on top of that, she refuses to see a therapist. I called her dad, but only managed to sugarcoat things, and when he asked me if she took things out on me I said: "No, no she doesn't..." SUCH A LIE! She takes everything out on me. And sometimes I just want to run away from her, but I promised her from the beginning I would stay and stick it out. Although, it seems like I'm bearing all the burden and she doesn't give a sh*t. She always wants to have sex off her meds, which was a major complaint of mine when she was on her meds. But I'd give up the sex just to be with a nice person. Her mood swings are so volatile and rapid that it terrifies me, and so OF COURSE I DON'T ENJOY THE SEX WE HAVE! I feel like I don't even know the person I'm sleeping with. It's gotten so bad that she says she hears voices, and one minute she will tell me she is so in love with me and the next she says she doesn't know how she loves me. She's become so cold and unaffectionate that I hate waking her up in the morning, because I don't know which person I'm going to wake up next to... In the last 2 months, I've lost nearly 20lbs, without trying... I'm a nervous wreck... And I'm at a loss of what to do... I'm considering giving her the ultimatum that if she doesn't get back on her meds or go back to her therapist that I'm going to leave her... Bad idea??

It's funny, the reason I found this is just tonight my girlfriend, the girl I've loved for so long, got very depressed for no apparent reason. I tried my hardest to calm her down, but everything I said, no matter how sweet it was, ended up in me getting hit or cut down verbally. Now, I've seen her angry before, but this was just different.
I would be less than shocked to learn she was bipolar (her dad is a Bipolar II victim), but I would appreciate just a bit of advice on how to cope with it. She's had "episodes" before, but none were quite as dramatic and violent as the one tonight.

I have no idea how to deal with someone who is bipolar. I thought by just being there for the person and letting them know there is a stable person that cares for them and is there if they need them, was good enough. I have been on and off with this guy for a few months now. I really care about him and really like him. I try to be there for him when ever and for a while he let me. Lately he is worse. He wont let me be there for him, everything i do is wrong, and he seems to change how he feels about me by the hour. Most of the time he just wants to be alone in his room. Hes not on meds and hes not seeing a therapist. He hates doctors and refuses to go to any doctor or take any meds, even aspirin. I guess im just using a "shoulder to cry to" but I dont know if i should stick around or if i should cut my losses. I care the world about him and would have no problem sticking around but there is going to be a point where I'm going to need something slightly stable as well.

Help...ive been dating my bf 4 6 months he goes from being real loving n effectioante 2 not wanting me near him or compltely ignores me its one extreme 2 the other...could this b bipolarism??

yes it is my mom has it and i have it my friends aunt has is and all of here kids have it but drinking can also cause it but useally it genetic