I know that worldwide, fish and shellfish play an important role in human nutrition. In my place, seafood is very popular. I know that in certain parts of the world this is more then in other. That is why I wanted to hear what you could tell me about seafood allergies. I am the most interested into seafood allergies symptoms.

I have to tell you first that the strong move to healthier eating habits and the substitution of meat with seafood in the diet has resulted in even greater demands for fish and shellfish. However, seafood’s may also be potent allergens in sensitized individuals and cause adverse reactions, such as any other substance. Very few allergens of seafood have been characterized, according to the medical and scientific literature. The best-known allergens in seafood are the Allergen M from codfish. Beside this, there is major allergen found in crustacea. In the group of molluscs, very recently a new allergen from South African, Abalone has been found. All of these allergens are very stable and are not destroyed by cooking as you might think. The symptoms of seafood allergy are specific, where reactions are reported to be mostly within 2 hours after ingestion or handling of seafood. Reactions can also be delayed for up to 6 hours, as has been frequently reported for species of the Mollusc groups. The more common symptoms of seafood allergies include skin, stomach and respiratory problems. Respiratory problems are very common in sensitive subjects following inhalation of fish in from of cooking.