Hello! I am a 47 years old woman. I have never suffered of any serious illness, and have never had any serious dental problems. However, during the last month my gums have been bleeding. Now, I don’t have the time to make an appointment now, as I work quite a lot. But I will real soon. I just wanted to know if this gum bleeding may be connected with perimenoupause, because it may happen that my hormone production is going down, I have also noticed some other mild symptoms.

Hi there! Yes. Gums bleeding is one of the common symptoms in women experiencing any of the stages of the menopause. Because the lower levels of estrogen, there may come to some changes in the oral cavities, which includes bleeding gums as well. You do need a dentist’s help, so it would be good if you found some time to make an appointment.

Sure, I also had this and I can say that I was really scared when I experienced this for the first time. I always had healthy teeth and when I saw blood for the first time when I was a 51 year old, I was scared. I couldn't relate this with my menopause. 

But, my doctor told me that this is normal since gum disease during menopause is often caused by dramatic changes in estrogen. On the other hand, estrogen maintains several areas of the mouth, including the tongue and jawbones. This is normal, but in a case to prevent more of the bleeding, you should find some bleeding gums treatment. just to be calm.

Good luck.