Hi, I have substantial phlegm and phlegm fluids (that means visible) in my lungs. The phlegm is moist and clear. I often cough and feel like there is something stuck in my throat. Would like to know are they any phlegm-resolving herbs? Also, would like to hear more info about phlegm in lungs.

Hi. I guess you could say that phlegm is a product of the body's activities acting upon moisture taken in with food and beverages. Phlegm is a normal and required substance. It is derived from stagnated food in the stomach. When the lungs are irritated, phlegm accumulates. It may become insufficient when the lungs suffer and cannot transform moisture to phlegm. Herbs to resolve phlegm are divided, so you have those which resolve cold (moist and clear) and those which resolve hot phlegm (drier and thick). Ginger, scute, gardenia, anemarrhena, ginseng, jujube, licorice, hoelen... There are many herbs to resolve phelgm accumulation.

Maybe I missed your age? Do you have Astham, Congestive Heart Failure, Emphysema, smoker's cough? First I wonder if you increasing fluid in your lungs, and not drinking enuf of fluids to thin your secretions but if you are a confestive heart failure patient I would have to be cautious about telling you to increase fluids. If you are still smoking, esp. in the early a.m. after no activity or lying down, your secretions would be building up and its time for breathing treatments to loosen secretions so you can cough them out. If you do not have a nebulizer that is easy, an online medical equipment catalog or company can deliver to the house or you need an MD for neb/neb Tx supplies.
Thinning secretions is by increasing fluids. The usual complaint of many is the in the throat feeling due to clinging secretions in the pharynx or throat. I am wondering if your cough is not forceful enuf to bring it up because your in a weak state? Breathing treatments can be very helpful in this phase.

If it is too costly to buy thru a med. company. I bought my own nebulizer without a MD, I'm a RN. I am a Asthmatic. But the meds have to come thru a MD. One substitute I have used instead of pro meds, is simply salt solution, do not swallow as it increases swelling. Salt in a cup of water, put it in your neb tx, it works, no other meds. When I'm sick, this is what i have used. but if this does not work for you, once again you may need pro. help gettin' meds for neb tx.

If you can find herbal remedies be sure that they do not contradict with your usual meds, or you can get a nasty response that ends you up in the hospital. So this means you have to read what the herb does, how it works, if it has a active ingredient that affects your heart rate, increases your blood pressure or causes dizzyness, etc.

it is not good to hear your secretions are thickening, a mucus plug can block your airway and lead to emergency care, this is not what you want, everyday a breathing problem main goal is to keep that airway open!! When it gets blocked and you can not breath your natural reaction is to PANIC, which leads to further tightening of the airway and increasing difficulty to breath, tuning purple, bluish, etc, and leading to big problems, like call 911.