I have had problems with diarrhea recently and when I went to my doctor he diagnosed me with salmonella. Even though he told me basic things about it, I would still like to know more. Can someone tell me more about salmonella?

Salmonella species are Gram-negative, anaerobic bacilli characterized by O, H, and Vi antigens. What you have experienced happens a lot. People mainly get it through food and are not even aware until problem with diarrhea begin. This is why it is important to go to the doctor because one can dehydrate by losing water through diarrhea. Pathogenic salmonellae ingested in food survive passage through the gastric acid barrier and invade the mucosa of the small and large intestine. This way they produce toxins and this is when problems begin. Invasion of epithelial cells stimulates the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines. These induce an inflammatory reaction and the acute inflammatory response causes diarrhea. This may lead to ulceration and destruction of the mucosa. Salmonellosis should be considered in any acute diarrheal or febrile illness without obvious cause and diagnosis is confirmed by isolating the organisms from clinical specimens, usually stool or blood.