Hello. I'm 34 year old male and I would like to hear more about the infection that my son developed recently. About four days ago he started to suffer from diarrhea, fever and strong abdominal cramps. I was very frightened because I didn’t know what could be the cause although it looked to me like it was some food poisoning.
I took him to see a doctor which took some stool for microbiologic examination and determined that he has some salmonella infection. He also prescribed him some antibiotics.
What should I know about this salmonella infection, prognosis and consequences?

Hello. I'm very sorry about your son but I can tell that, although symptoms of this salmonella infection are a bit frightening- it isn’t so serious infection. Beside this, it is also a very common problem.
You have described almost all typical symptoms of this disease called salmonellosis that usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most persons recover without treatment. There are many different kinds of Salmonella bacteria but the most common are Typhimurium and Enteritidis and they are causing food poisoning.
Like I said, person can recover almost with no treatment but the problem is that it may be several months before its bowel habits are entirely normal.