Hi, I've been travelling through Vietnam over the past few weeks and have been very careful about what I've eaten. I have, however, noticed that my stools have been reasonably soft (not runny), and I've noticed stringy strands that follow on from each stool (same colour).

There is also a slight odour.

Can you suggest what this might be??

Hi Jen,

It is VERY possible that it is just a result of your changes in diet.  Are these strings mucous or white?  Mucous would primarily be from your diet.  White, is often worms or another parasite.

Are you feeling tired or weak?  That would be common symptom with a parasitic infection.

We'd need to evaluate a sample to be sure.

There's no mucous and the strands are not white... They're poop colour!! I've noticed it for the past few days, and my poop is a much softer, almost creamy like, consistency (colour is normal). Not feeling tired or weak. I travel to many Asian countries, eating local food and haven't noticed this problem before. So not sure it's change in diet.

Usually people have issues with diarrhea when they are traveling. I had it as well and this just went away alone. But I never had issues with stringy bowel movements, so I don't believe that I can talk a lot about it. 

Sure, I was reading something about this and my friend's sister had this problem as well.

Observe the symptoms such as weight loss, fatigue, nausea, etc.

It is important to consult your health provider because maybe this is only some reacting to your traveling, maybe it is nothing serious. 

If you see the blood in your stool, that can be dangerous.