My neighbor’s son had bloody bowel movements and bowel movements that are black and tar-like. The doctor diagnosed him with Campylobacter, which I have never heard for before. My son is spending a lot of time with this child, so I want to hear how to prevent Campylobacter infection.

Campylobacter is a type of bacteria that infects the gastrointestinal tract. It is usually transmitted in contaminated food or water, which includes meats as well. Household pets may also carry Campylobacter and can pass the bacteria to people. Person-to-person transmission can occur when someone comes in direct contact with fecal material from a person who is infected. You can prevent Campylobacter infections by using drinking water that has been tested and approved for purity. While hiking and camping, avoid drinking water from mountain streams and from sources that pass through lands where animals graze, because this way you could catch Campylobacter. You can kill the bacteria in contaminated meats by cooking these foods thoroughly. Important is to eat this food while it is still warm. Whenever you prepare foods, wash your hands well before and after touching raw meats. As you care for a family member who has diarrhea, remember to wash your hands before touching other people in your household.