Hi. I have a 14 year old daughter. She is about 5 foot 6 inches and weights about 180 pounds or so. Is this overweight for how tall and old she is?? I know that most of the kids in her grade do not weight more than 120… I mean, she really doesn’t look like she’s overweight but, then, she isn't very active. Is that too heavy? Should she lose weight or just keep it like that. Considering her age, I really think it would be embarassing for her to be on a diet. I would just like to know if she is overweight or not. Thanks for all answer

I’m going to be very strait - yes, she is overweight. Even without knowing her size, you can tell that she’s overweight only by comparing her weight with other children of her age. You’ve mentioned yourself they do not weight more than 120… On the other hand, I don’t think she should start diet of some kind - It's best to teach her good eating, exercises and food choice habits. She should eat les bread, candies and sweets and more vegetables, fruits, tec..

Actually, according to the standard BMI calculator, she is near obesity.

Okay I know where your coming from. When I was 14 I was at 180. Just give it some time and she may lose the weight. If it looks as if she is gaining it more...well of course she might because i went through losing and gaining. But if she looks as if she is gaining more and more then get her into a doctor and have her put on a diet. Its probably just her baby fat because I found out you have baby fat until your 18. I was at 180 from age 13-14 in a half and when i turned 15 my weight started shedding. Im now down to 140. Just give her some time and dont pressure her. My mom pressured me alot and it sucked.

I'm 19. When I was 14 I was taken to the doctor and told I needed to loose weight. It started me on a tailspin of eating disorders. I now binge and purge multiple times a day and just spent a month in the hospital. I keep these pair of shoes, from back then. That the doctor and my mom promised me I could have if i lost whatever amount of weight. I got the shoes, but it wasn't before I till i threw up enough food and starved myself 113 pounds smaller and almost killed myself doing it. All I wanted to do was please my mom, don't ever put that kind of pressure on your daughter. Don't mess with her head like that. Let it be her decision... but please, please be careful It is such a sensitive age.

Also be sure your daughter isn't binge eating. I was and thats why I was so heavy at 14. I was so embarassed of it and trust me, she could hide it. I still hide it from my parents 7 years after starting to binge.

First off, I am 5'4, and now weigh 135lbs...this however, has not come easy, nor has it come without its fair share of mental heartache and severe long-term effects from childhood.....

As a child, I was always "the heavy one". My mom was overly skinny, and it was constantly in my face that I "needed to loose weight: I needed to diet: I would be so pretty, so attractive if I just lost a few pounds and took "care" of myself".

I was athletic to a point....I played softball throughout school---but I did enjoy eating....and eating out of boredom...and depression....and hurt.

I knew I was never going to be "As good as my mom" and I would never live up to her standards, no matter how hard I tried. I was on a "diet" for as long as I can remember. We never EVER had icecream in the house...and if we did........it was a rare event. I wasn't allowed "Lucky Charms- the sugary cereals....they weren't good for me."

But all along, I still wore sizes bigger than the other kids, never feeling like I fit in with anyone...and always being compared to something unacheiveable.

Well here i am today....wearing a size 4-6.......( I can fit into my mom's clothes.....) She has gained weight, and is now wearing a larger size than me....and is more unhappy than she ever was to begin with...and still finds things to criticize me on.

So, I guess, my moral of this story is to simply emphasize that every person is unique. And if you embrace an unhealthy lifestyle, that will follow down through the children, into your children's children, and so forth.

I have learned that the true reason why my mom made me feel like I was not ever up to her standards is not because she had some extreme vendetta against me, or that she was an awful mother......
She was simply unhappy with her self...with her own image...and she had no other teachings but to project that onto someone else who could give her the self confidence to look at herself everyday in the mirror and like what she saw.......

Now, I am no sob story.....as a college student, I started out at my highest weight of 186 pounds.................... in the last year and a half, with the help of portion size, unfortunate on-the-job-stress (comes with the territory) and migraine prophylaxis medication (topamax), I have been able to shed those unwanted pounds, slowly, surely, and so far----permanently................down to my desired goal weight of 135 and a mere 5'4...those who have known me my entire life look at me like I am some drug addict that is going to blow away in the wind.....but for once I am truly happy with myself, my self confidence ( yay for wearing dresses and skirts, and sexy lingere, and overpriced undies from vickie's secret ).....those things that I only dreamed about growing up...as a teen...as a young adult.....those things I was told that I would never be, I would never wear, I could never do............

Now, I'm not your ordinary joe-schmoe either.....
I am a 25 year old female with my doctorate degree, and a clinical pharmacist at an inpatient hospital facility.........as well as a mother to a beautiful, healthy and wonderful 2 and 1/2 year old baby boy and engaged to the most wonderful stay at home daddy I could ever dream of...........................Thank you Sean, for beliving in me, and my bony hips...LOL.

But don't let people get ur daughter down......there will be a time and a place for everything, although it may not be the most convienent or timely moment in history, it is NEVER impossible. And I will say this ONCE......

IT IS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT WHAT YOU EAT>>>>>>ITS ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU EAT AND HOW OFTEN AND WHEN YOU EAT IT.

Not eating after 6pm......STOP EATING THE SECOND YOU ARE REMOTELY FULL *BY THE WAY----Zyrtec takes away the feeling of siation...(feeling full and satisfied) so it is WAY possible to gain a good bit of weight if you take that.....stick with some OTC chlorpheniramine antihistamine for allergies!

So, with that said, If you can have her get by with drinking some of that calorie free crystal light, and having like a green pepper to snack on or something else good for you (weight watchers is a great program).....then, yes.....you can still enjoy a burrito supreme from taco bell for dinner and not feel guilty! \

A basic way to find out a good estimate weight for your daughter is what I was told by my doctor. I'm 5'3" and at 135 lbs I was in a size 6.
For 5 feet tall you should weigh at least 100 lbs and add 5 lbs to each inch.So if she's 5ft 6" her goal weight could be anywhere from 130 lbs-150 lbs .
I give that range because I don't know if her bodyframe is a small,medium or large. I have a medium frame . NOT everyone looks great or can maintain 130 lbs at 5ft6"
My body can maintain 140-145 lbs and I'm still a size 8-10 depending on the style and brand I buy. If I tried to weigh according to a weightchart I should weigh 115 lbs. At 135 lbs I looked very,very thin. I couldn't imagine weighing less!
So use the weightchart only as a giude. She would probably feel and look great at 155-160 lbs.
Weight issues with teenagers should be approached cautiously .My 15 yr daughter is 5ft 0" and weighs 121 lbs according to her height/weight she is still in a healthy weight even though she believes she should be weighing 105-110 lbs. I help her with little things like healthy snack ideas and we both go walking together or just dancing and goofing off together lol.
Good Luck

I, too, have a daughter who is overweight. She is a 5'6" 12 year old, who started 7th grade this year and who weighs 184 pounds. I have tried many things to help her. It's extremely difficult to deal with this situation without hurting her feelings. That's the last thing I want to do is hurt her. But, I know the excess weight is not healthy.

She is not very active anymore. She used to play select softball and soccer regularly, but gave both of them up. I've found dishes hidden under the bathroom sink and candy wrappers hidden in places too. I've stopped buying most junk food altogether, which has helped some, but she still sneak eats and overeats late at night, mostly from boredom. She will cry at times for being "fat" and when I make suggestions like us walking after dinner or riding bikes on the trails, she says she doesn't care that she's big. But I know she does. She's asked me many times if I was "stocky" when I was her age. I tell her yes, and I was, but nowhere near what she is. I would never tell her that.

One day, she came home from school and told me that she's just not the type of girl that boys like. It broke my heart. I told her that's not true. Her self esteem is damaged because of the weight. She's a great kid, funny, intelligent, outgoing and caring. I worry because I know this is a tough age and it's only going to get tougher over the next few years. After reading these posts, I think it's time (probably long overdue) for me to get her into her pediatrician to address the issue.

i am 18 and as a child my parents always stayed on to me i too was chubby and very tall i now am almost 6 ft . my parentrs had me on every kind of diet you could think of. b/c of that i today have horrible eating disorders and i hate my self image. If you feel as if she is overweight dont tell her just maybe change your household eatin habits i am sure that it wont hurt to eat a little heathier and maybe tell her that you would like to spend more time with her so you and her should go walkin everyday just to have mother daughter time but dont tell her that she is over weight it messes with a childs head when you do this ..
trust me, i and my sister went though this i wish my mother and father had had better solutions then what they did

hi im nicole and i know wat its like for here im 9 st o.O but im 5,4 so im tall for my age i was really fat and i was told and i did not like it so i started some gym and netball classes and i started to lose my weight it was noticable all my freinds ther brothers and sisters, my pe teachers even noticed not only that i have fun to so its really good for you. she sould at least get 60 mins a day go to cluns with your freinds but dont tell them why i was a size 15-16 but know im 13-14 yearsso it will really help it is probibly most puppyfat on your daughter evryone gets it but at diffrent times i hope i helped

p.s. i uesed a bmi calculater and it said her bmi is 19 but is only overwight not obese

Good Luck XxXxX

Hi! As I see, it's been over quite two years since the topic was once lunched, but I felt the need to answer.

Yes, she is overweight. No matter how kind I would try to turn that in, she would still be overweight. But she may not be too far from being healthy. She's 5'6, so of course, she is never going to be 120 lbs. If so, she'd look freaking skinny and wouldn't even be attractive. If you bring to her the idea of a diet, maybe it would be a little too harsh. Just cook her some healthy meals and control her plate size and it should help, without her noticing too much. Let me tell you a bit of my story, since I juggled with my weight for a while.

When I was 10 years old, barely 5 feet tall, I was weighting 160 lbs and wearing a size 10. Oh yes, then I'd be hearing some people saying that a size 10 is not so bad. Oh well, it is when you're not even 5 feet tall. I was huge. I threw most of my pictures from that time of my life in the garbage since these were bad memories. I remember wearing these sticky t-shirts, showing a little bit, maybe too much, my belly, and feeling so freaking beautiful. My mom kept on telling me how I should be losing weight, wearing other type of clothes. I didn't hear. I didn't want to. I felt perfectly fine... Or that was before I entered high school where I found out that people are really mean sometimes. They kept on calling me fatty, ugly, unattractive. They kept on laughing at my huge belly, my lack of talent in sports. I was the 'big' geek. Then, my mom started making me eat healthier without me noticing. Making my portions smaller, little by little. I lost weight and eventually got down to 145 lbs, for 5'2 and size 8. It was fine for me. Not really the best body, but still healthier than 15 pounds heavier. And I found out I had lost it quite easily. I was 13 years old when I struggled with weight issues again. I didn't gain weight. I just felt huge. I looked at every skinny girl at school, like the ones in the cheer squad, and I would feel unattractive, ugly, fat, uninteresting. I felt rejected. I started to believe everyone around me. So I got into a diet. A bad diet. I only ate one 'small' meal a day. Well small, if we could still call that small at that stage. It went on for two months. I was now 5'4. After two months, I had lost 30 pounds. I was now 115 pounds for 5'4, and a size 3. When I now look at pictures of me then, I find it disgusting. How skinny I was. No fat, only bones. When I started eating normally again, I gained the weight I had lost so fast. I went up to 135 lbs. And today, I am 17 years old. 5'5 and 135 lbs. Happier than ever. Still struggling with my body sometimes. Still feeling unattractive sometimes. But hey, it's normal. I'm a size 6 and totally fine with that. In fact, I wouldn't mind climbing up to 140 lbs, of muscles. Yes, I'm going to the gym and toning myself up. Curves are way much more attractive than bones, in my opinion. 

So my say would be to watch a little after what she eats, but don't worry too much. Always make her feel beautiful, don't bother her with weight issues. She's too young to stop eating as I did. And sometimes, it's when your parents make you realize that you're a bit overweight that you start doing crazy unhealthy stuff like I did. As I say, just size her portions a little smaller, day by day. Graduation has always been a good way to get into the healthy path of life. Weight lost fast always comes back running. I have learned it by now.

And mostly, the most important thing is that she loves herself. Every woman who loves herself is beautiful, no matter her height, weight and pant size. She is stunning, so must your daughter be!

well my daughters 12 and she weighs about 160 pounds and i don't really think that you should worry about that.

in my opinion not really because if she's tall and if she exercises then she is most likely muscle

How heartless are you, a mother should only care about there child's weight when they could have serious health issues. I'm 15 and if my mum said I was overweight it would break my heart, why should you compare her to other kids in her grade? Stop being pushy and let her enjoy her youth. Like I say- heartless

I am 14, and I weigh 180 pounds. I am also 4'11.
Honestly, It's only a problem if she thinks it's a problem. I know this reply is extremely late but I hope it does help, even if only a little. Maybe she just needs to find something fun to do, I exercise for two hours everyday and it feels like it's not even work if you enjoy it. Hope this finds you well.