I'm a 14 year old girl, 5'5" and 177 lbs.
I'm planning on signing up at a gym in a few days, and going 4 times a week, along with eating healthier and cutting on calories.
I have a few questions;

1) Is 4 times a week (about an hour and a half each time) enough to lose weight? Or do I need to go more often/for a longer period of time?

2) Which machines would you suggest me to use? I'm trending more towards things like the treadmill than weights and things like that.

3) I would like to lose a lot of weight by this summer, if possible. I know it's not all going to drop off magically in the first month, but if I stick to my diet and exercise plan, is 4 1/2 months enough time to lose 40-45 lbs?

4) Do those slimfast shakes really work to curb your hunger? One of my biggest problems is (obviously) that I eat too much. If those really do work to curb your hunger for 4 hours (like the commercial says), it would be a big help to me.

5) How many calories a day is a healthy amount, but still considered dieting?

Don't hesitate to share any tips that helped you lose weight. I can use all the help I can get!

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

Hi EmmaJ,
You know its a bit too early for you to think about losing weight, cause your still growing and you need to eat a variety of food. More over if you loose a lot of weight at this age its going to effect you adversely in your later years. If you still think you need to loose weight than start eating more vegetables and fruits, at your age you have to start eating healthy cause what you eat now is going to affect, what you look like when you get older, using diet pills or taking diet plans (like getting food from a company that they give you every day to eat) is not good for your growth.
And yes drink lots and lots of water.

Actually, many girls do stop growing around my age. My doctor says I'm at pretty much my maximum height, so the only way for me to grow now is out, not up. :-)

Some people might say that I'm too young to be worrying about my weight and counting calories, but I am unhealthily overweight, and since I am nearing the point where I stop growing, it's not just going to go away.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my first post in any way, but I have no intention of taking diet pills or anything so drastic. However, I'll take your advice and won't touch anything like the Slimfast shakes.
Mostly, I was looking for advice on how to eat right and exercise the right amount to lose the extra pounds in a healthy way.

Thank you for your help!

(Edit:
I'm thinking that this was posted in the wrong category :-( Sorry for any inconvenience. Is there any possible way to move threads?)

listen...i know what it feels like to try and lose weight...summer is comming up and i have looked on many websites looking for answers because i know we all want to fit into that cute little swimsuit...i started working out at the gym a couple months ago and it has really helped me...
but stll unsatisfied...i looked for more answers...i tried to diet...it didn't really work...i eat less and walk my dogs up a 3mile hill every day...there is no such thing as loosing 50lbs in one month...it takes time and if you are determined it will help you too...just wait and see...listening to music really helps me when i am working out it keeps me motivated. and when you hurt after working out it's always good to go back the next day and do it again even if you hurt because you're building muscle and muscle is better than fat...
=D =D =D good luck

honestly, dnt got to adults for advice on losing weight, cuz all they will tell you is that u are to young to be losing weight. It sounds like ur pretty overweight.. no offence or anything. I just wanna lose like 5 lbs. I am 14 and 118 pounds and at a height of 5 foot 5. How does that make you feel? If it makes you feel bad than that is the problem. You see, all my friends are itty bitty, like 103 pounds and they are always saying that they are fat and that they need to lose weight. Well, I always tell them that when they say things like that it makes me feel bad cuz I am the one who needs to lose weight and that they should be thankful for their bodies. Do you think that peer pressure is what is makin you want to lose all this weight? If not what is making you want to lose it? The answer? Well it should be that you are concerned of your health, not "oh, summer is coming and I want to fit into that itty bitty bikini.." BLAH! That is not the answer. You need to be proud of your body, and if you just want to lose the weight because of the way you look, than that is bad for your health. Its called body image and how you perceive it is the way others will perceive it. Its okay to lose all the weight you want to lose, but do it for all the right reasons. You only have one body, and if getting it to 137 pounds is your goal, than go for it. Just keep your head up high and look for the respect. Tell yourself that you are beautiful everyday infront of the mirror. So, final question.. How do I noe all this? Because I have been there.. good luck~

im kinda like u but i weigh more ....you prob don't get talked about like i do by family&friends ...i need to lose weight but how do i ???

i would use the treadmill or the eliptical it will take some time but make sure you stick to your plan and i wouldnt really worry about eating much less just eat more healthier foods. and try to eat things with alot of fiber and protiene, cut back on sodas if your a soda drinker and if you go out to eat alot at fastfood places....try not to do that alot, when you go out to eat with your family get like a salad with chicken or something with veggies....i hope this works for you, good luck:-D

1) i would do a longer period of time

hey my names breanna and apparently if u exercie for at lest 30 min a day its enough to boost up ur motabolism im also 14 and its working for me

im 14 and 5"4.5 and 127 lbs and i want to lose weight. recently i have started working out. my workout includes 1 hour aerobics, 1 hour walking (leisure), 1 hour badminton and 1 hour cycling (leisure). i am also on a diet. is it adequate at my age? please reply soon i need serious help.

You're at a healthy weight for your height and age and do not need to worry about losing weight. Working out is fine, but don't be worrying about losing weight cause you're fine. :)

i know this is late but i weigh about 150 and i so want to lose weight but let me tell you it's hard and i do get picked on but i learned to ignore it and just be you and i understand where you come from when your own family does that my brother usually does that but i just ignore him and my point i am trying to say is as you get older and grow even if you stopped your body will change because you matabilisum is gonna come around and just because your body top growing don'y mean everything else has stopped and i hope this helps c:

I am 14 weigh 180 lbs and is in track and I am a defensive starter in football I need help to lose weight because I get made fun of and I am working out 2 a week for 60 minutes and still have a lot of fat

Hi Emma! I'm also 14 and. trying to tone up and it's not easy everybody is just built different and you can only get so thin! So for the dieting part just eat less and healthier watch the calories and that takes care of the dieting.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Running is also a great way to get in shape I suggest short sprints since they help more and from what I've discovered anaerobic exercises burn calories and fat 48 hours after you stop working out! Hope this helps and good luck!!!!

Hello :) im 15 and last summer i decided i wanted to lose weight just like many o fyou want to and i actually managed to go from about 123 pounds to 105 pounds at a height of 5'6. what helped me the most was (and is) running, its amazing how much it tones you and helps you lose weight, and i stopped snacking. just reach for a glas of water or a cup of unsweetened tea when you want to snack!