I know that constipation commonly refers to infrequent bowel movements. I think I have all the symptoms of constipation. I think this is exactly what my problem is, if I have stool hard and dry, I need to strain to have a bowel movement, and have feeling a sense of incomplete evacuation. Sometimes I could even feel pain when passing stool. That is why I would appreciate if someone could tell me more about this problem with constipation.

You may be constipated if you have three bowel movements or fewer in a week, this is first thing you need to know. I realized some people think that they should have a bowel movement once a day but there is no right number so you could say if someone is constipated. Everyone is different, and average number for adults can vary between three times for a day to three times a week. Important is to know that almost everyone is constipated at some time, and brief periods of constipation are normal. The normal number of bowel movements that you have depends on the food you eat, how much fluid you drink, and how much you exercise. Constipation can be aggravated by travel, a change in diet, or from repeatedly ignoring the urge to go, and some medications can cause constipation. Once this happens, you need to know what to do. First thing, you need to eat more fiber. It helps form soft, bulky stool and is found in vegetables, fruits, and grains, so you need to add fiber gradually to your diet so that your body can get used to it. Good advice is to drink at least 6 to 8 cups of water or other liquids daily, and try to avoid caffeine or alcohol, as they tend to dry out your digestive system.