hi. I am 28 years old. I have tried using tampons and just don't like them. I have started dating someone a year ago, and ever since then, he is trying to convince me to use tampons instead of pads. He almost gets angry that I use pads, says they are messy and gross, and that all the other girls he ever dated always used tampons and that is the way I should be. I like the guy a lot, but do not want to be pressured into birth control and tampon use all the time. please help us settle this issue.

mary_kay wrote:

Hi Mary Kay,

In my opinion, I think that you should use pads if you are used to them. If your boyfriend thinks they are gross, that is too bad. I would be concerned that he is a little on the controlling side. Why is he comparing you to the "other girls he dated"? Does this not concern you? He is also pressuring you into birth control? Doesnt sound to me like he is truly caring of you, like he wants you to do ONLY what he wants you to do. Honestly, if he is this "angry" when you use pads, and is trying to compare you with other past girlfriends?

Honestly, if he is THIS inconsiderate of your wishes, with pressure of birth control AND tampons, what other further things "will" you do that "irritate" him. Doesnt sound like someone whom you should stay with. If he is this controlling now, it will only get worse. Just an opinion.

Hizgrace