I had my bunion surgery almost four months ago. I still have swelling and pain right around the bunion area. My doctor has me going to physical therapy 2 times a week but doesn't seem to be helping. I'm afraid this pain is never going to go away. It is much worse than the original pain I was feeling before surgery. Has anyone experienced this? Should I get a second opinion or ask for more detailed type of bone scan. I just really want to figure out what is going on. I can not spend the summer trying to keep up with my kids with this sort of pain.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Interestly enough i'm experiencing the same thing. I'm 2 days shy of being 4 months post bunion surgery and I'm having the same sort of pain. Based on the x-rays the bone is healing fine. I think perhaps the pain may be attributed to the screw but i can't even phatom undergoing another surgery right now, so i'm going to give it a little more time and see what happens.

Hi everyone,

I had bunion surgery 3 weeks ago and the pain and swelling is going down day by day. I don't feel extreme pain rather than a 'normal' pain associated with just having my bone extracted. But it is still rather early to see how it will totally heal. I see your posts were quite a while ago. Has the pain subsided in a year?

I am a dancer and would like to return to normal activity as much as possible, and as soon as possible. I have the screw still in and fell like I can move my toe without pain now, but I still have bruising around the foot.

I had bunionette surgery about 5 months ago. I recently went in for my last post op x-ray and was told the screw hasnt moved but it may be irritating my tendon causing some tendonitis. My doctor recommended that I have the screw removed. I am a little nervous about this. He informed me that not all patients have it removed but its "up to me" whether I want to wait and see if the pain subsides or take it out.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? Chose to remove it and regret it or it alleviated pain once removed?

My recovery has been difficult but completely worth it. I went from barely getting through my day walking without pain before surgery to now, stiffness and pain at night about three times a week or when I do a lot of walking.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I had bunion and hammertoe surgery 4 weeks ago and am still in a lot of pain,especially at night.The incision burns badly and I have a lot of pain around the big toe.I am getting therapy twice a week,but so far that isn't helping.I start back to work in a week and need to be on my feet most of the time.Any suggestions on how to get myself back on my feet soon?

hi I'm 15 and I had bunion surgery 6 months ago. I'm still in very much pain for some reason. I go back to the doctors next week so well see what happens.

Hi everyone, Im the same, I had mine done over 5 months ago and it seems to be getting more painful rather than better - I got discharged from the hospital after 6 weeks and have never been offered any kind of Physio or support.

Hope everyone feels better soon 8-|
x

Same as me.. I had surgery 4 months ago and returned to work 7 weeks ago and still the pain is driving me nuts... I have always been very active but now it feels like if im on my feet too long its going to snap... The worst thing though is I never seem to have a warm foot anymore... its always so very cold to the touch 

My wife is still in severe pain four months after bunion Op.At first the Doctor had her on Tramadol plus Co codamol,and anti inflamatory pills,making a total of nineteen tablets a day.They might as well have given her Smarties.She is now on Morphine patches plus Paracetamol and anti inflamatory tablets and the pain is still intense.I would never even consider having that Op,I would sooner have my eyeballs cleaned with a wire brush

I had bunion surgery 11 months ago on both feet.  My doctor opted to go in on top of the foot instead of the side to correct the bunions.  I followed the orders for after surgery recovery however despite having done so I have experienced a great amount of discomforted when I walk regardless of the kind of shoe worn.  I can feel the grounds bottom surface with each and every step I take.  My foot is constantly in pain and is sore to the touch.  Whenever I am idle, in the car or at my desk, when I get up to walk I limp because my foot has become so stiff.  I visited the doctor who did the surgeries and this is what he had to say.  He too has this kind of discomforted when he walks so he ordered a pair of insoles.  He offered me the same solution for over $450.00.  Although the insoles are nonrefundable, if they don't work for me, he can then give me a cortisone shot. No thanks.  I have no intentions of doing either.  My husband suggested I go to another doctor to see what could be the cause of the problem.  BTW the doctor never said what could be the problem. Amazing how I went in to have a problem corrected only to have a new problem created.  Go figure.  

I too had bunion surgery on my right foot 8-21-13, and I am also still experiencing lots of pain!! The doc who did the surgery says that the foot is 50% healed at 3 months, and it will still be several months for it to be compleately healed.  The swelling is ongoing and my foot ALWAYS hurts.  It really gets old, doesn't it?  There is also a small bump where the bunion was, which the doctor says is from swelling.  I feel that my foot pain is never going to go away, and I get a bit bummed out about it at times.  All the recent post op X-rays were perfect per the surgeon.  I highly doubt that I would have the surgery if I could go back in time.  I also was told today that i need rotator cuff surgery, and from what I hear, that is no picnic either----and my foot isn't even healed yet.  Oh well--one day at a time.

I am 4 months after bunion surgery. The first time I put my foot on the ground in the surgical boot I could feel all my bones not the ground. I have lost all the fat pad on my foot. There is a procedure (not covered) call Foot Fat Tuck, where they put the fat back. I now have metatarsalgia which is the inflammation of the joints where the bones connect to the foot. If I can get that under control I am considering having the fat tuck so I can go barefoot again and hopefully the bones won't be on the ground anymore. I also have a nerve on the outside of the ankle which is very sore. So we'll see what ends up happening. They say it can take year, but the fat pad will never come back. I have found some large gel pads that hook around the toe and go on the ball of the foot that has helped a little.

I had my bunion surgery in December...7 months ago. I still have swelling and pain when I walk. I was advised to buy good shoes (Keen or Merrell...$100.00 each) which I did. I also bought "Happy Feet" socks which separate the toes. I wear them when I am watching tv or sleeping. I am going to contact my doctor again and hopefully get some relief.
jan

I also had bunion surgery 4months ago. My foot still keeps swelling up and the pain seems to be  from my middle three toes and the top of my foot where the pin came out this causes severe pain as I am on my feet all day and can only wear trainers or flip flops proper shoes are a no no anyone else have this problem 

I know that your post was a long time ago and you may not see this but I had to smile when I saw that you were also needing a rotator cuff repair. I had my right rotator cuff repaired in April 2014 and then had my left bunion done in Oct 2014. I thought the pain from the shoulder surgery was bad but it turns out that the bunion seems to be far more painful. In saying that, let's put things into perspective. I injured my shoulder in July 2013 and had shoulder pain for 9 months prior to surgery and then varying degrees of pain post surgery for the next 9 months. I can finally say that the shoulder is not hurting now but I haven't really tested it properly as due to the bunion surgery 12 weeks ago I haven't returned to work yet (Registered Nurse) and have not returned to playing tennis which are my 2 goals. I am on this site as I am having a very "down" day where I am sick of the pain and I am sick of pretending that everything is ok. It isn't. I don't like being in pain all the time. The pain after my bunion surgery was excruciating for about 5 days. Far worse than I expected. Pain medication did very little to relieve it. It was only when I could manage to catch a few hours of sleep that it would go away only to return as soon as I woke up again. The pain gradually improved to a tolerable level (I would say extremely painful instead of excruciating) over the next couple of weeks but then stayed at that level until about week 6 post surgery. Things improved a little from weeks 6-8 but then remained constant again or possibly even felt worse until about week 10. Once again a small improvement in the pain but with each improvement in pain, I tried to do more as my doctor had told be I was do use the foot as normal but rest when it was too painful. Supposedly I was able to go back to work at the 6 week mark. There is absolutely no way I could have done that. I am hoping to go back to work next week (12 weeks post surgery) but I know it will be extremely painful. I like to go walking but I can only mange about 20 mins at a time at the moment. I tried a 1 hour walk last week and limped home in tears, plunged my foot into a bowl of cold water and then could barely put weight on it for the next couple of hours. When will the pain settle down? I just want my life back again. I am sick of constant pain. The fact that there are so many negative comments on this page is not very reassuring for me. :(