I had bunion surgery on both feet 5 weeks ago. I am driving and waliking again at the local shops. I was in hospital for 3 days, off pain killers other than Panadol after 4. I only had about 6 yards of cottonwool and bandaging, no plaster, and was heel walking after 4 days. What I am concerned about is the widespread bruising in my . Has anyone had the same experience, and what did you do to help it?

your post-op souunds pretty easy..... can you share what kind of procedure did you have? I might have to have lapidus but am considering the "scarf" procedure. Thanks.

hi i jut wanted to know what procedure u got and was it painful why were u in the hospital was it beacsue u ran out of medicine or cause the pain and are u back to normal how long did it take and are u happy with your results

I am having bunionectomy on Friday. I am having it done in Outpatient of the hospital. I am only having one done, perhaps that is why. I am seeing the surgeon tomorrow, I will find out the procedure. I am expecting to be able to walk some from the get go. Yours must have been a lot more serious surgery than I am having or the procedure is that much advanced.
Wish me luck.

I had a bunionectomy a couple years ago and I don't know what procedure you had but my procedure was extremely painful afterwards and I couldn't walk on my foot for a month. The second surgery two years later to remove the screws that were put in was much better though. I was walking the next day and was in very little pain.

I wasn't in the hospital at all. I had to be in a cast for three weeks. The first four days was painful. When I was able to be the post-surgical shoe the second day and night was painful, so I had to take a Vicodin. After 3 weeks, I was able to get in a regular shoe. I still have discomfort, b/c of sensitive nerves in my toe and it is still swollen some. The nerve that was removed from the bottom of my foot between the second and third toe is very stiff and sensitive too. I wish I hadn't had it removed. As for the bunionectomy, I am glad I had that done. Even though it will be a while before it will be totally back to normal. The doctor said, about 6 months for the nerves to heal completely. I know it takes time, b/c I had to have stitches in a finger and it took about 8 months for all the feeling to return. I have heard that the screw that is put in is good, but they don't do that type where I live. I had to pins, one was removed after four weeks.

I had this surgery done almost 5 yrs. ago or so. I handled it very poorly,and or,the pain meds. I had weren't worth squat(hydromorphin).My wife took me home that same day,pretty much as soon as I woke up. The throbbing pain was unbearable,esp. at night. I didn't want to stand up to go pee(I know..I'm a wuss..lol). I think at 3 wks. out they took my pin out(did'nt sedate me or nothin and grabbed onto it with pliers and twisted and yanked....THAT HURT) and at 9wks. i was putting on my shoe and 12 wks. i went back to work(couldnt get my steel toed shoes on for while though). The pain was unbearable for the first mth. esp. but now am glad i had it done.

I just had a bunionectomy on the 21st of October, 2008 and it was in the Podiatrist's office, I was an outpatient, they used the Twilight Anesthetic.This to me was the best way to go with surgery, you get an IV and then they say we are going to put a cocktail in your IV and then your out. My surgery was at 11:30 am to when I walked out of the office with help at 2:00 pm. I had 1 screw put in{which I am told stays in forever} and the Arthritis scrapped off of the bone/ball joint. {My foot hadn't reached the deformed state too much, just beginning stage. But the Arthritis was so painful/brought on by my symptom of drop foot/dragging my foot for almost 3 years wrong-shattered disc's/emergency back surgery in Dec. 3rd of 07.} I was picked up at podiatrists office, by my daughter and taken home to be alone till my family came home from work or school.I went back in on the 24th to have my bandage changed, driving myself. I was off of work for the remainder of the week. The second day I couldn't handle the pain, I had to change my pain med's to Hydrocodone/ the Tylenol with Codeine just didn't come close to masking the pain, and the weekend was approaching. I returned to work on the 27th with a boot. Now its the 4th of Nov. and I am in my own shoe. Still have some pain, walking on it is tough, but I am making it work.

Wow DeniseD, you're amazing! I had surgery Oct 24 and I will not be walking on this foot for a while. I hope. I have my 2nd post-op aapt tomorrow so I'll see exactly what he expects of me. But for now you can just call me Kangaroo. I hop around on my non-surgical foot or use crutches while the surgeried foot is raised. I go back to work in January. It's amazing how so many go back to work so soon after this type of surgery.

HWell HalluxHellux, I am going in next month for my right foot. i had my left foot done 4 years ago and NEVER had to take even one pain killer. My Podiatrist did a local nerve block before and after the surgery (before I was even out of recovery) and went home the same day. I had ZERO pain! I did have to keep it up for 2 weeks and was in a cast for one month, but I in addition to the base bunionectomy I had to have surgery on my two toes next to my big toe where they had to shorten the toes in order to help my bunionectomy. My other toes weren't too long, jus my bunion was so bad. Ask about having a nerve block-made surgery, and post-op, a breeze!

I am having Bunion surgery on Monday. I am glad I came to this site to read about your experience. Really helpful..thanks so much

I had a bunionectomy on Sept. 8th. Couldn't walk for a full week. Then walked in a surgical boot. The pain was much more than I bargained for. After 3 weeks, I requested additional pain meds and I had significant pain in the location of one particular screw--the one in my big toe (I had a total of 3 screws). After 10 weeks and continued pain and swelling at the site of the screw, I had the screw removed. At the time of the 2nd surgery, my big toe had hardly moved since the first surgery, so the doc did some physical therapy during the surgery and cranked my big toe. I didn't walk the entire next day because of that pain. It's now been 13 weeks since the first surgery. I take Tylenol for discomfort each day and there is a lot of sensitivity and pin prick sensations in my foot and toe. I still have limited movement of my big toe, although I'm wearing shoes that will force some constant movement and I'm hoping that it will loosen up as time goes by. I still have significant swelling and I can only wear 2 pairs of shoes. I'm still walking with a limp because of the limited toe flexibility.

Hello. I just had bunion and hammertoe surgery on Tuesday (5 days ago) and I've seriously never been in more pain in my entire life. I am a 25yo active female and I have a housekeeping job which requires me to be on my feet about 9hrs a day with no rest breaks in between (except for a half hour lunch which I normally dont take because im so overwhelmed with my work load). The first day was the worse. The pain isn't so bad during the day, but trying to sleep through the night is impossible for me. My foot throbs like crazy and for some reason the heel of my foot burns like fire. The worse pain ever. I was advised id be on crutches for 4-6 weeks, and the pain meds they gave me are really do good (percocet and vicodin) which I have been taking religiously. I have been suffereing the worse anxiety and sleep deprivation. I am hoping this will all just go away. I knew this surgery wasn't going to be a walk in the park, but i never imagined it would endure this much pain:( im so sad!! just wanted to throw my story out to all those going through the same thing. They say it can take around 3 months before im able to go back to work full time, but can take 6 months to a YEAR to heal completely.. and even after that, some people still suffer post opp complications. I have a bunion on my right foot as well, but not nearly as bad.. im terrified to get that one corrected because im not sure i can go through this much pain again. blah.. blessings to all!
-Leanna

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences with bunion surgery I have to go for the same thing in a week or so and now I will be a little more prepared.   Thanks  Anthony Rozario

I am going for a bunion opp tomorrow and i am scared as hell for the pain :'(