I had bunion and hammertoe surgery four weeks ago. I had the stitches out after two weeks and the wires in my toes out in four. My foot and toes are swollen and I have been putting an ice bag on it as well as soaking it in warm sudsy water. Should I expect that the swelling will go down by itself or is there something else I should be doing?

I am in the same position as you. My op was on 02/05/09. my foot is stiil really swollen even though I am doing all the exercises recommended by physio. and elevating foot with ice often. I feel that if I could only reduce the swelling I would find it easier to walk. as it is I can't get a shoe near the foot - even Crocs don't fit.
Any tips to reduce swelling would be appreciated.

I had my hammertoe/bunion surgery 3/16/10 (2 weeks ago tomorrow). The first week was the worse!! My foot was so swollen that it hurt from the feeling of stretching in my stitches (which come out tomorrow). I have taken approx 3 months off work, just to make sure I have an adequate amount of time to heal (im on my feet steady 9hrs a day). I rotate different day but ALWAYS make sure to keep my foot up for a WHOLE day unless I have to use the restroom..haha. But you will see such a significant change in the feeling, swelling and bruising. I take 800mg ibuprofen (prescribed) too keep the swelling down and also take my percs for pain. I think its healing very nicely, but wish it would just hurry up..im missing out on my gym time..haha pleasant healing:)

I have also got hammer toe, i hate it tho especially in this weather as i cant wear my sandals,,, feel to embarassed to,,, I would lyk to get this corrected,,, jus dont know how to go bout it .

I would really advice anybody who wanna have this proceduere done to research and get a great surgeon just had my all my toes done a month ago and i must say they are looking better already..... I am so happy that I have this done this, now i am looking foward to get my feet done and wear the sandals for the first time in years

Have u iced the foot ,my surgery has been 5 weeks and still swollen after being off my feet for , a few days, my doctor has not given me thes instructions I'm wondering if she forgot

I had an excellent surgeon for my bunion and hammer toe, operated 3/25/19. The pain was not as bad as I feared. The 1st week was the worst. My foot is completely healed to walk on, but the swelling and “twinges” of pain can be alarming. If I walk around the house in bare feet, the left (post-op) foot and ankle kind of look like a large sausage, with toes, so I have found that keeping some compression, either a wrap or sock, on it keeps the swelling down and is more comfortable.