I finally decided to go for bunion and hammertoe surgery because pain has become too crippling, but all the info I read online suggests that even after the surgery I’m in for some extra suffering. I’m having the bunion removal done on my left foot first because I’m bit scared to have the surgery done on both legs at the same time.

My orthopedic surgeon is kinda vague about the whole recovery process. He says it will take up to a year for a bone to completely heal, but what worries me more is immediate post-op recovery - how much will it hurt and for how long will I have to wear casts and how long will the pins stay in the two hammertoes?

even though it's true that it might take up to a year for a bone to completely heal, your foot will be functional much sooner. As far as your question about immediate post-op recovery, your foot will be in the surgical cast and pins will be removed in about 4 weeks (you should discuss all these details with your surgeon).

You can expect for your leg to be in pain, but, of course, you'll be given painkillers that will manage the pain effectively,

Wish you all the best,

Nicole

Hi, I've had both bunion and hammertoe surgeries on both feet (just like you, I had it done on one leg first). I'm gonna be honest with you - immediately after the surgery when you get home you will be in a lot of pain. So, make sure you take your painkillers regularly. I've had my cast removed 4 weeks after the surgery and pins were removed a week later. During all this time there was no way I could even lean on the leg I had surgery on, but slowly it got better. Good luck with your surgery!

thanks for all your replies! As the surgery date comes closer I'm getting more and more scared, I simply have such low tolerance for pain but this definitely needs to be done because even now I have barely any shoes (mostly sneakers) that I can wear without being in pain.

I did call back the surgeon's office and the nurse there was very helpful - she told me I'd need ice packs and that I'll also need to keep my foot elevated, and, of course, I'll be prescribed a strong painkiller. She says I'll be able to walk using the crutches within a few weeks, which was great news.

I had bunion and hammertoe surgery almost a month ago.
Out of cast last Friday.
Now, i'm in a boot, but still no weight on foot.
Using a knee scooter instead of cruches.
Much easier to get around.
I just do mot know when I will be able.to walk.