Hello! Since my mother has been recently diagnosed cervical arthritis I wanted to learn more about it. I searched the internet for information and possible causes and treatment. Then I noticed that the symptoms of cervical arthritis are completely the same with the symptoms of cervical spondylosis. Is cervical arthritis same condition as cervical spondylosis?

Hello! It is true that the symptoms are almost the same: pain, neck stiffness, headache, numbness, loss of balance, etc…. In the case of spondylosis the disks of your spine become drier and less elastic as you age and in the case of cervical arthritis the most common cause is injury or repeated trauma to the neck or back from recreational or work activities. It is difficult at first to diagnose because of the similarities between these two diseases

Hello there brigida1101,

I am so sorry to hear that your mother has been diagnosed with cervical arthritis. Basically arthritis is the inflammation of the joints and this condition usually results in great amount of pain. Since chantal983 has already explained you the difference between cervical arthritis and cervical spondylosis I believe there is no need to repeat his words, and I hope that you were happy with the answer.

Also, your mother should be aware of the fact that she must communicate with her doctor about everything. All the information she needs she must get from him because it is his duty to provide her with it. It is cool that you are so interested to make difference between these two conditions and that you are so interested to help your mother but include family doctor more.