Hi, I am using decongestants for some time and now I feel dehydrated. My breathing has improved, and my nose is not runny any more. But, can decongestants dry you out?

Decongestants are applied directly to the nasal cavity to relieve nasal congestion. Systemically-acting decongestants can have side effect such as high blood pressure. They work by constricting the blood vessels within the nasal cavity, and reducing secretion of nasal discharge. Most commonly are used ephedrin, oxymetazoline, phenylephrine, xylometazoline. However, if applied for more then 3-5 days they can make nasal mucus too sensitive and dried out. But, since they are applied locally, they can not cause drying out of whole body. If you meant systemially applied decongestants, then there is a possibility of drainage of whole body.