Hello, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with infective endocarditis and I am interested in this disease. I would like to know why it occurs. Is there a genetic factor that causes it? What would it be? I would appreciate all your replies considering this. Thank you in advance. Bye, folks.

Hi, there. I have never heard about a genetic factor in infective endocarditis. I know that it is mostly caused by bacteria or fungi in smaller number of cases. They enter the bloodstream and cause infection. Maybe there is some predisposition among population. I guess it would have something to do with certain MHC antigens. I don’t know the details. Sorry! I hope you’ll find out more details. Bye!

Hello. I would agree with the previous post. I really don’t know how much a genetic factor plays important role here. There are some people that have more risks of getting it. For instance, people whose heart is already damaged have more risks. Intravenous drug addicts are also at high risk. But all these are not genetic predispositions. I would say that these are risky conditions and behavior. I hope this helps. Bye!