I have always wondered can hemorrhoids cause rectal cancer? i have had a colonoscopy or however it's spelled and the doctor said i was fine except that i have thrombosed hemorrhoids and internal ones as well, sorry i can't spell these complicated medical words. I had the prcedure about 2 yrs ago approx and at age 30 and now I'm 32 and i alwys worry that it can cause rectal cancer and i worry myself perhaps for nothing but I can't help it I get really scared when I see alot of blood come out from my rectum every now and then so it really freaks me out :-( well if anyone knows that would be interestung. Thanks!

Hi TheMBDRocks

Yep, it sure is distressing to see blood with a bowel motion.

But to answer your question.... hemorrhoids are usually a sign that at some point there was a strain in that area that caused the veins to 'pop out' and become a hemorrhoid. That won't cause cancer by itself.

Its more what the hemorrhoid can be a symptom of. If you have bowel motions that are continually hard, or hard to pass so that you have to strain, then your bowel health needs attending to. Unhealthy bowels are more prone to the development of cancer.

I can go into more detail if you want about bowel health, let me know if you want me to describe what's going on inside your bowels and what to look out for.

Hope this helps - let us know.

Regards, Olwen :-)

Hello Olwen Anderson, Could you please be so kind and remove the first part of your sentence to me (Hi The***Rocks) because this is my username and every time I google it. This article always pops up. It's very embarrassing. Thanks!

Hemorrhoids CANNOT cause cancer, but cancer can cause hemorrhoids. Unfortunately rectal bleeding can indeed be a sign of colon cancer. Do see a colorectal specialist or get a colonscopy done fast.

I had a colonoscopy done this month and when I went to the doctor for the results he told me the following.  He found about 6 or 7 small polops and snipped them off because they were tiny.  The other thing he told me is that I had a bad looking hemorrhoid and would need to have it removed.  When I asked about the binding procedure or the laser procedure he said that I would have to have it surgically removed so it could be examined under the microscope.  I asked him if he was talking about cancer and he said yes.  Does this sound right to you?