Hi everyone.

I know this question has been asked a lot, but has a little variation.

I’m 25, male, and about 6 years ago I noticed I had a bit of blood in my poop, very bright red. I figured the best solution was to ignore it (:-)) and over the next few days it went away. About a year later it came back again, and I thought I might go to the doctor. He said there were no cuts or anything that he could see, and told me to come back in a week if it stays around. It didn't, so I never went back.

So over the last 6 years, every now and then I'll get blood in my poop for a few days, no other pains or anything, normal poop, and then it goes away again. Just today it happened again but there was more than there ever was before, and I'm thinking 'Mmm, should I get this checked?".

So I'm wondering, are there any reasons why out of the blue I would be getting a bit of blood for a few days, then nothing for probably 7-8 months? I'm hesitant to go to the doctor as trying to look at someone and say "I got blood in me bunghole!" is probably the most embarrassing I could imagine.

Thoughts on why this could be occurring so randomly?

With bright red blood most likely you have had a hemorrhoid. When they form inside your body there aren't nerves and therefore you don't normally notice them. Occasionally they can rupture and then bleed for a bit and then heal up and no other symptoms for a while (months or longer is not uncommon).

If it's some other internal problem usually the blood causes the stool to darken and/or appears more tar like. It might also last longer than a few days. Rectal bleeding can, of course, be a sign of other problems and therefore it is recommended that people get checked out after a certain age and/or if there are other symptoms or family histories of cancer, etc.

it definitely sounds like hemorrhoids, which can come and go as stress levels, eating habits, and just over all strain change. I would still make a visit with a GI doctor or your regular physician to get these checked out, to make sure there is nothing more serious. Try increasing your fiber intake, but do this very slowly, other wise the adverse effects will not be welcomed ones.

You should definitely have a colonoscopy. It would cost you nothing to see what is wrong with you.

Of course that the reason in your case can be because of hemorrhoids and it would be helpful if you change the eating habits.

Hemorrhoids can be really scary because they are causing a lot of blood. Observe the color of blood. For example, darker, almost blackish blood typically comes from the upper GI tract, while the bright red or maroon-colored blood is most commonly from a lower GI tract source. 

Anyway, official diagnosis is needed because it is not a nice thing to see a blood in your stool or at your toilet paper, right? 

Can't hurt to have a colonoscopy .... even if just for the peace of mind. If you haven't had one before then now is a good time to get one.