I am a 58 year-old male patient diagnosed with rectal cancer 3 months ago. I have suffered from severe hemorrhoids since I began to be a high scool teacher 30 years ago. I had the bad habit of reading in restroom since I was a college student. I spend at least 40-60 minutes every day in restroom for my constipation. And the condition got more severe after I graduated and start to work. I always stained in the toliet but constipation did not improve despite using laxatives. Finally, my hemorrhoids got more severe and became prolapse all day long. Initially, I visited colorectal sugery clinic for helap and received hemorrhoidectomy three times( about every 5-6 year ). Although operation initially relieved my suffering, my hemorrhoids returned soon and to the degree before operation about 1-2 years. Several of my colleagues also have the same problem. After my last hemorrhoids sugery 6 years ago, I decided no further sugery to my anus because I almost became incontinence to liquid stool. I had to use pads in my bottock to prevent soiled my pants although I always constipated. About 6 months ago, I suffered from tenesmus and urged all day but when I was in the restroom, only break winds. After several months, I could not endure and visit a proctologist. I did not see any gastroenterologist or proctologist for several years despite severe hemorrhoids. Because they alwalys told me I need operation to my anus but I had three times, three times but I did not get rid of hemorrhoids. The doctor gave me a digital rectal examination and he told me there were one good news and one bad. The bad one is I had low rectal cancer and the good is I will never get hemorrhoids after sugery to my rectal cancer because I have to receive resection to my anus and rectum. I will use a permanent colostomy in my abdomen for stool passage. After 1 week, I received "abdominoperineal resection", and after I waked from anesthesia, my hemorrhoids and also my anus disappear and a "rose" in my left lwoer abdomen. Initially, I was embarrassed. But after several weeks, I was familiar with enema for colostomy and I even felt better than I was before operation. Because I could control my bowel movement and sit easily. No more hemorrhoids.

You're pretty lucky as your rectal cancer can still be treated even after so many years. Rectal cancer is one of the underlying causes to hemorrhoids and it is very difficult to detect it until it gets severe, and that's why it's good to get a thorough diagnosis early, especially from the first sign of rectal bleeding.