Hey all,

I'm almost 24 and after 13 sore throats in 2 years plus more recent difficulty sleeping and swallowing, my ENT recommended I get my tonsils out. I feel really comfortable with my doc and want to do the surgery with him in DC. However, my parents are trying to get me to do it in CA (where they live). I don't want to go into the issues with them in detail but since dealing with them on the health front provokes stress/anxiety, I'm seriously thinking about getting a home care nurse (or maybe grandma?).I know I need someone at home with me, but since I'm over 18 it doesn't have to be a parent, right?

I don't want to regret not getting the surgery done with the doc of my choice because of my 'rents. Any advice appreciated! Thanks :)

Hi, there! You are at the age where you can do what you want.  You don't necessarily need anyone to stay with you after the surgical procedure, but maybe you can get a friend to take you home after you have it done.  You should have it done with a surgeon you are comfortable with.  Your parents can't tell you what you can and can't do.  I hope you are able to make arrangements in DC.  You will be more comfortable at home, I would think.  If you can afford it, you could have a nurse come in to check on you if you make arrangements ahead of time.  I hope this helps. 

Preach on, ybanks522! Your post is very reassuring. My plan is to tell my parents AFTER I schedule the surgery. I'm still on their insurance so for a while I worried about their being mad for scheduling the surgery behind their backs. The more I think about this issue, I'm at the point where I don't really care what they think because it's MY tonsils and decision with my ENT, not theirs. Call me crazy, but I'd rather have them be mad for scheduling surgery behind their back than look back years later with the regret of "why did I let my parents talk me into going to CA against my wishes with a doc with whom I  have not and will not have a relationship?"

Just to clarify, my ENT said I should have someone with me the first week of recovery. I'm interested in hearing where you're coming from re: not needing anyone to stay with me after the surgical procedure. Since they'll put me under, I'll have to have someone with me anyways--though I have friends here who would go with me. And yes, I would feel more comfortable in DC, which I consider my *home.* One of the reasons my parents don't want to come to DC is the cost of airfare (dad says $6000-7000, which is NOT true for an SF-DC flight), hotel, renting a car, etc. Though I haven't actually done any math (not my thing lol), I'm pretty sure that having a nurse for a week would be cheaper than my parents coming here. So maybe my parents might be willing to pay some/all of those costs. But if not, I have enough $$ in my savings account that I could pay.