Hi all. I’m not alcoholic, but sometimes I do like to go out with my friends and have a drink or two. Anyway, the problem is that last two or three times I did so, I experienced alcohol blackouts. I remember that I was drinking beer most of the evening last time it happened. Are there some drinks that cause these blackouts??? I mean, I’ve been drinking before but never had these blackouts... Your comments??

Even though you claim that you are not an alcoholic, I have to tell you that memory loss and blackouts are an early high-risk indicator of exactly that. Periods of amnesia (blackouts) are caused when alcohol consumption levels prevent the formation of memory levels in the brain and occur after a large amount of alcohol is consumed. Blackouts are a sign of serious intoxication and probably dependence. As far as I know, it really doesn’t matter what you drink but HOW MUCH... Anyway, I would think this all over if I were you and definitely reduce drinking...

I am also not an alcoholic and have experienced blackouts. It has happened 2 or 3 times over a three year period. The first time was definately from over drinking at a party as a college freshman. The second time I did not have as much to drink, and i ate, but i only blacked out for a very short period of time, but the last time, i did not have hard liquor or even a huge amount to drink. I had eaten, and i have definately drank more then what i had the day of my last black out, and i wonder why, with so little alcohol that could happen. I truely am not an alcoholic, i drink about 2-3 times a month, IF that, and its normally just a glass or two of cheap wine. So I'd like to gain an understanding as to why these blackouts occur so randomly. I'd also appreciate a real answer, not just "don't drink anymore" or "these are all warning signs to alcoholism". I understood after my first black out that I had to control my intake when I was drinking and rarely do I ever drink in excess, so why am I blacking out off of so little alcohol.

I was a heavy drinking for about 5 years, My doctor called me technically an alcoholic although there was no chemical dependance for alcohol. Anyhow in the 5th year of my drinking career I started have large gaps in my memory after excessivley drinking, infact drinking lost it's allure because I could no longer remember the fun that I was having. So I gave up drinking, not forever but now i only drink maybe once a month if that. I didn't quit because I thought I had a problem, I quit because it wasn't fun anymore and if I do it sporatically it is fun. Needless to say I no longer have black outs. I think we all have a certain suseptability to blacking out and like anything else some are more prone to it while others like myself it can take a long time for black outs to rear it's ugly head.

It doesn't seem to matter anymore how much I drink I have a tendency to blackout. Is it the over consumption of sugar in the blood, is it just that my body cannot take it anymore, is it a factor of alcoholism? I can drink wine, beer or hard liquor and it will happen. Sometimes I can drink all night and it won't happen, sometimes I can have two or three drinks and it will happen. What causes this? I am making the decision to not drink anymore due to this occuring. It has happened throughout my life and at 50 it is disturbing to me. Please help to explain this medically, I know that excessive drinking, lack of sleep and not eating can cause blackouts to happen, but when you haven't had much to drink and this occurs baffles me.

After reading a study on this I have this to add:

1. Firstly, blackouts are NOT a strong indicator at all of alcoholism or alcohol dependency. Yes, you need to modify your drinking pattern but this does not mean you have long term problems.

2. Studies suggest that blackout occurrence is not directly related to how much is drunk, but instead how rapidly your blood alcohol level rises. So, perhaps you drank those few drinks faster on these nights which you experienced blackouts?

"A man ran down a hotel hallway and through a glass window, falling 16 stories. Fortunately he lived to recognize he was in an alcohol blackout. Another drove for miles, reached home and went to bed, unaware the headless body of his lifelong friend sat next to him. When a woman learned she had scratched, bruised and repeatedly bit her best friend during an unremembered quarrel, she asked, “Who is this monster living inside me?”

Kevin Price drove the wrong way on the Garden State Parkway which led to the death of five people in a head-on collision. Michael Newbury awoke with a bloody hammer in his hand, the mutilated body of his girlfriend nearby. Paul Cox allegedly entered a Larchmont, NY, home where he formerly lived and stabbed a sleeping couple to death.

Hundreds more could be cited, and none remembers doing any of their actions—nor did they intend to or want to. They couldn’t stop themselves because they were in an alcohol blackout, one of the more common effects of dinking, suffered by millions on any given day. Some people blackout everytime they drink, others on a couple glasses of wine.

People in a blackout do not forget what happened. They will never remember, because alcohol blacked their ability to form memory. Without memory ormation they lose self-awareness and self-control. They are zombies.

Yet their pre-blackout memory remains intact, enabling them to walk, talk, drive, travel, quarrel, get into fights, wield a knife or hammer—and never know it. There are reports of an airline pilot flying passengers cross-country and a physician performing surgery while blacked out.

Blackouts devastate individuals and families, and the price tag is enormous. Yet the police and courts, doctors and hospitals, know little or nothing about them. Blackouts have fallen through the cracks of medicine. The research most often cited is 35 years out of date and does not reflect current neuroscience. Such neglect and misrepresentation can no longer be tolerated."

I have to agree with previous remarks - tis not necessarily what u drink but how fast u drink it. Gulpers tend to fair badly. This is good news for me, have often been told i drink liquor like it is lemonade - hence no memory of most evenings. The moral of the story - bloody slow down! I shall try it this weekend. Who knows, I may have a story to tell next one!

I also get blackouts each time I drink even though it's only two or three drinks (Beers) and feel like I have a serious condition going on. I drink regularly but have only begun to have blackouts the last 6 months or so. After the first time I had one, I didn't drink for a month. Then I had 3 beers and blacked out again. I didn't drink for 2.5 months and again blacked out. I really am getting worried and would appreciate information that anybody may have regarding this.

Thanks.

That doesn't really meet the standard criteria for "blacking out." At least not chemically.

I think your Anxiety over blacking out is causing memory loss vs too much alcohol.

I am very curious to know if anyone has experienced this before. I had some wine with friends over the wkd just sitting around my house. One of the bottles was Francis Coppola - Syrah. I went from feeling a little bit of a buzz from the wine to being completely intoxicated, but not until I drank the glass of Coppola did I feel like this. My boyfriend said I wasn't making any sense and mumbling with my eyes half open. He said, had we been out somewhere, he would have had a tough time getting me home because I was real resistent, etc. First of all, I'm not a saint, so yes, I may have drank a few too many, but in all the years I've drank wine socially, I've NEVER felt like this or experienced anything so bizarre. Another reason I'm putting this out there is I know of this happening to another person. He drank the Coppola Merlot (2 glasses) and his wife found him outside in the middle of the night wondering around the backyard, very delusional. Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm just curious if it's a coincedence or maybe just a strange reaction for both of us? I know I will be staying away from this brand from now on. The oddest thing is I was up at 6am the next morning and did not feel hungover. hmmmmm.

It's really funny how people automatically derive alcoholism from black outs.

I have had drinks with my friends before, I rarely drink, i never get anything like hazy or blury vision, and i always am aware of my environment or what i am doing, knowing the limit.

HOWEVER

I have had experinced a blackout for the first time two nights ago, and i have been a little paranoid on the issue.

With some research I find that it is caused due to Binge drinking because it is the first time i ever consumed more then 5 drinks in less then one hour. Another issue that adds onto blackouts is fatigue. If you are tired getting tipsy is a little harder because of the physical state your body's at, however if you relax your body after some time you will get tipsy, but then your mentality shuts off but not completly as in you are still aware of your environment - yet on the outside all the energy is focused on your physical being, therefore your short term memory does not seem to transfer directly to the long term memory due to the damage on the dendrites (<tree root> in nerve cells in your brain),

so in a way you are aware of what you are doing, yet still rules apply when just being drunk = as in you are more outgoing and your body is more relaxed yet not fully "with the program" as in your slow, but you dont store it in your long term memory therefore causing a blackout.

HERES HOW MY NIGHT UNFOLDS

My first two drinks that i've consumed were in the restaurant before 10pm, we went to the club, while my other two friends decided to get a cooler and drink outside and meeting us later.
Hoping that in the club I would not pay too much attention to alcohol due to my limits, my friend ends up buying me a REV which is 7% 500ml cooler, she gets one for herself as well. After sometime we meet up with my other two friends, and i buy myself another REV now that would be my 4th drink, it is after midnight, my friend i was with, she gets one for herself as well. Later she tells me she feels dizzy and unwell, i however feel tipsy. We go to the bar and she says tequila. i thought ok sure (not aware what she told me earlier) and i handed her a five dollar bill yet she got 4 shots :( and i think she overpaid throwing in her cash.
We drink 2 each because we are unware of the consequences i mean we dont usually drink shots.
Later on we end up dancing, and my friend threw up and i tried to tell her to get up but she wouldnt pay attention, THIS IS AFTER 1am she sat on the floor, aware of my weakness in my body i knew that in order to maintain my balance i would not be able to help her up. However my other two friends didnt seem to worry and she got up after few minutes. Some guy i danced with bought me another REV..........

THIS IS WHEN MY MEMORY SLIPS.... MY BLACKOUT LASTED ONE to TWO HOURS ACCORDING TO MY PHONE CALLS and turns of facts from friends.

afterwards i remember arriving at some girls house, and i think the reason why i regained back my "consiousness" as in start to remember more is because my body kicked in more of a full awakeness so i could throw up.... later on i just remember being dissapointed in the turn of events.

My firends tell me that after that guy got me a drink i seem to help my firend that threw up and got her water, yet i have no idea why i left her there because later on my other friends told me i went back to dancing cuz they did as well. I asked how energetic was i and the my friend said that I just stood around and i did make conversation with some people and danced a bit. My friend told me he saw that i made friends with that girl who took me home at the club.... i mean thank god cuz if i met her somewhere else, ill be so curious to how i met her. The girl who took me home they spoke with her and i told them ill be back, and i never came back, guessing she took me to her place because around 230am my friend called me and asked me where i am and i informed him of being on the way over to her place where i regained my actual awareness.

http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/atod/alc_aayb.htm

I have also started to experience blackouts. I just moved to Spain where people usually start the evening at 1 am and don't go home until the sun comes up. The first few times I blacked out I was completly freaked out because, although I like to drink, I also enjoy staying in controll of my actions. Thus I normally drink very slowly. For New Years I decided to stick to 1 beer an hour. I know I stuck to that plan because of the money I had left over the next morning, but I cannot, for the life of me remeber the 2nd half of the night. So 8 beers over the course of 8 hours would leave me within the legal limits for driving. I guess my question is: Does sleepiness play a factor in this? Because back home I drank a whole lot more without this ever happening. But now that the hours for which I normally go out have changed, I seem to black out half of the time.

don't drink very often but sometimes i get together with friends and drink. Whenever I drink beer I'm fine. I can drink a whole 12 pack and be drunk but fine.... But the last time I drank I had a little wine and a few sips of whiskey. And according to the people taking care of me I didn't just black out I went into a "mini coma" I personally remember saying goodbye to the world because I thought I was dieing But I didn't :-) anyways my friend has been asking around and people have told him that sometimes diabetics can drink beer but not drinks with more alcohol content for some reason. Does anyone know why this happened to me? Thanks