Hi, I am 25 years old, and I’m constantly high. I started using cannabis when I was in pain, because I am allergic to many medicines. The pain stopped two months ago, but I still smoke cannabis. Any suggestions?

It is exactly what happened to me. I feel so lonely because I can’t talk with anyone about it. I smoke cannabis every single day, before lessons and after them, and I’m constantly high. I started when I was depressed about a girl. How stupid I was! I became paranoid about everything, and I constantly have a feeling that people look at me like they see how high I am. I hope they don’t, because I really want to stop smoking it, but I think I’m psychically addicted. It relaxes me when I’m nervous and gives me courage before the exams, but it’s not worth if I end up in a police station, and be expelled from university. I am considering a therapy, because I really want to quit before it’s too late.

you cant get addicted to mary jane. you are just using addiction as an excuse. baby.

Tommy- If you can't give constructive advice and deliver it without insult then nobody wants to hear what you have to say.

...That being said...

weill and ivett,

I understand your problem. Sometimes with chronic use of marijuana a feeling of dependency can easily develop, and can even lead you to suffer anxiety and depression just thinking about trying to quit.

What you need to do is remove yourself from any friends or people in your life that are also smokers, whether they are casual or chronic users (no worries just a couple days should be enough).
The first day you go without you are very likely to feel somewhat depressed, easily irritated, and anxious, but take heart that while it is psychologically addictive, unlike nicotine, it is not physically addictive (as far as doctors know or have studied).

It will take probably 2 to three days before you realize that your 'addiction' is subsiding and you will no longer feel that you are dependent on marijuana and should be able to function normally without it's use.

If you know what to prepare for, then that is half the journey.
You should be aware that you will feel some if not all of the following symptoms for a 2-3 day period after you have ceased use entirely:
Discomfort
Anxiety
Depression
Cessation of hunger
Frustration
Angry or easily irritable
Difficulty sleeping

I know because every Spring-Summer I start smoking pot for recreation, then, due to work, have to quit and detoxify for a month before I return to work for the year.

You can try natural 'helpers' such as fruit and vegetables containing vitamin C, any happy foods that you don't associate with getting high, as well as using breathing techniques, aroma therapy, and the almost endless list of methods to help relieve the withdrawal symptoms caused by quitting marijuana use that I listed above.

Myself I keep busy. Thinking about it will only make it more difficult. Go out for a walk... get some vitamin D from the sun to make you happy, do things that keep you from dwelling on your negative withdrawal symptoms. Hang out with non-smoking friends.

Oh, another important step you should take that is commonly suggested for people wanting to quit smoking cigarettes (but should certainly apply to marijuana as well) is to remove the drug and any paraphernalia related to the drug... papers, bongs, posters, pipes, anything related should be removed from your environment, or at least hidden out of sight (out of sight out of mind).

Ignorance of law enforcement (although they are the lesser of the evils since cops are just doing their job according to the dictation of politicians), politicians, and even doctors has really prevented thorough examination of marijuana, its positive effects, and negative effects or side effects... or at least many of their findings haven't been conclusive enough to release. Look at cigarette smoking, it wasn't until more recent years that any real attention was given to it... and not until very recently that government was willing to accept that it is a serious psychological AND physical addiction. I think all the taxes they've imposed on tobacco products probably greatly influenced their conscious ignorance. Money clouds judgment. Till recent years it was considered just a bad habit... like picking your nose or sucking your thumb... far as I know thumbs and boogers don't have 'addictive' properties like nicotine or heroine. Marijuana doesn't get much political attention cause right now politicians aren't making money off it like tobacco and alcohol. (alcohol being the worst addiction due to its widespread global acceptance) Anyway I'm ranting.

Best of Luck!
If at first you don't succeed...

I saw no insult in what Tommy said. He is right, she IS using it as an excuse.

Tommy is right. Marijuana is not physically addictive, however habits are hard to break and you need the right pyschological mindframe to stop smoking . I have been smoking marijuana for 6 years, every morning, day, and night. I smoke more then an ounce to myself a week, and I get extremely sick because I have inherent throat problems and I smoke weed with blunt papers(tobacco papers). I have severe adhd and an anxiety disorder and need something to mellow me out, if I don't smoke for more then 6 hours I begin to have severe anxiety attacks which lead to small seizures and I rarely can stop for more then a day unless I am very sick. Also, I hope hormonal problems with my luthenizing hormones and THC has been shown to help lower certain levels of hormones that i have problems with. However, I know it is my own weakness, and I need to stop abusing and start modering. If any of you have ever tried hard drugs, which I have alot of expierence from when I was younger, or seen someone with a very bad drug problem, you will see what addiction truly is. Marijuana is not that, it is just something that makes life easier and its hard to stop. Lito you present some good methods of quitting, especially if you have a group of friends who are smokers, distancing yourself for a few days is key to start the quitting process. However, ivett and weill, no offense but you sound like people who have done no research on marijuana and are relatively light smokers, trust me your just fooling yourself's if you think you have problems with weed, stop if you really think its good for you, its that easy, if it helps, then smoke in moderation.

have been smoking for 4 years, at first conservatively on mid grade, now anywhere from 1/4-an oz. every day of hgh grade i am burntout and unproductive i have quit and became more productive after 3-5 days. nothing is as fun with too much thc buildup if you are having trouble with your use, i suggest quitting for two weeks or so. after that start smoking sparingly cause if you can smoke responibly more power to you, but if not then dont make a bad name for weed, its a helpful substance if used correctly.

That is the same as me I smoked 15 years and now am out of pain and want to stop