I've been a heavy smoker for the last 8 years. Quantity wise some people might not think I smoke a lot, usually about a quarter a week, maybe a little more. But the thing is I smoke on a constant basis, I HAVE to smoke every day, I smoke first thing when I wake up, and continue smoking every 2-3 hours for the rest of the day, and smoke heavily right before going to bed. In the last 8 years I've never gone more than 48 hours without smoking (due to lack of supply).

I quit cold turkey 1 week ago, and the withdrawal has been pretty bad. I feel depressed and anxious most of the time. I feel physically sick, have hot flushes, mild headaches and nausea, insomnia which is followed by sleeping for 12 hours and waking up dead tired still (probably due to having vivid dreams/nightmares all night). I'm having extreme trouble focusing and concentrating, and school work is actually much more difficult to complete than while I was high. I have read that these symptoms are normal, and get worse until around day 10, and then start to get better.

There are some unavoidable social situations coming up in the next few days where weed will be present, and with the way I'm feeling I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist. My question is, if I do smoke again on that day, and then go back to abstaining, will it be like starting all over again from day 1, or will it not be as bad.

If I have to go through the last week's experiences again, I really don't know if I can handle it.

Thanks for any replies

I also wanted to ask, how long will it be until i can think clearly again? I thought stopping smoking would make my mind clear but it's been the opposite, adn I have exams in two weeks and honestly it's impossible to study atm I cant concentrate or focus on anything.

would love to know the answer because im a week without smoking and have drank tonight. I am going through the worst withdrawals. more so than when sober after the first day or two. I feel one or two wont be deconstructive to my progress so far due to the fact that nicotine leaves your body in 72 hours.

a response would be great for other people in my shoes in the future.

I'm on night 6 leading into day 7 without blazing. I've only slept probably about 10-13 hours the last 4 nights. I've thrown up twice as a result of nausea, once on day 4 (which was the worse day by far) and this morning which was also pretty bad. In order to avoid any temptations, I just go for walks at my own pace. Also too, I've stayed at school longer, either just to read or surf the net in the computer lab. I want to do vigorous exercise, but my appetite/sporatic nausea/schoolwork has deterred me from starting that. I'm hoping to go to the gym tomorrow if i feel better.

Im working on quitting smoking and decided to quit suddenly, though the decision to quit and following up on that is great, its very hard to stop 100% like with any another addiction, for me i do let myself go once a while, like initially i let myself have just one a day and then just one every other few days, it works, for me i found that its hard to predict when i might feel the urge, then when i let go and have one end up feeling guilty, but psychologically i forget about it and move on. So end of the day, I find that quitting overnight is very very hard so will end up having one or two, thats fine, but never never never give up on quitting, thats the key, u got to remain focused and not give up eventually the urges will start reducing, take it one day at a time.