Hello! I am very health-conscious person. I eat healthy and I don’t smoke or drink. Unfortunately I don’t have time to exercise, and I only grab enough time for a walk in the park from time to time. I thought that was enough until recently I saw my neighbor, who is a sportsman, walking with difficulty. He explained that he had patellar tendinitis. If he who is physically active every day has knee problems at such an early age, what will happen to me? So I am thinking of starting up some activity. Can recreational activity prevent patellar tendinitis?

You are so wrong when you think that patellar tendinitis is a problem caused by little activity. It is quite the opposite! The people who usually have it are athletes or laborers who use their knees very actively every day. It is common in people involved in activities that include a lot of running, jumping, stopping and starting. So the fact that you are not very active even lessens the risk of you suffering from patellar tendinitis. Of course you should exercise for many other good reasons.

I agree that sportsmen are usually the ones who suffer from patellar tendinitis, and I also agree that that doesn’t mean we should not do sports. What it does mean, though, is that we shouldn’t do sports before we heat our body and muscles enough. We can do that by stretching exercises and warm-up trainings before any sport training or even hard work. Recreation is always good for your body, but you must make sure you are doing it right. If you do it in a wrong way it can hurt you rather than aid you.