I’m trying to decide whether to start with running or with cycling. The main thing I’m taking into consideration is whether more calories are burned in a mile of running or in a mile of cycling. When I find that out, I’ll choose the sport for me. I know that many of you decide according some other things but this issue is very important for me.

I believe that this is a very important issue for you but I don’t think that the difference is that big. Besides, you would be completely disappointed if you realized how many calories you can burn during an hour of any sports activity, no matter how demanding it is. My suggestion is that you choose the one you like and not pay too much attention to calories. Don’t even try to calculate how many you have spent after the training because that is really discouraging. Just pick a sports activity and be persistent and after a month or two the first results will appear. But don’t expect that you can eat the same food like now. You have to make a cut and eliminate simple sugars and fats from your diet.

I'm not so sure about the food issue, but if you actively participate in any sport of a consistent period of time, you will notice significant gains. I saw with my own eyes runners who slimmed down quite a bit after just a few months of running.

Trail Running Blog

Miles running ... but not too many miles