Hello from a cycling rookie! I’ve just bought my first bike and I’m eager to start exercising but I can’t just sit and ride off without a plan. Can you tell me what tempo should I set as a beginner and how long my first rides should be? I haven’t practiced any sports activity before this and I believe I’m a bit rusty.

Hello there! Since you say you’re rusty, you should take care about the intensity and speed at the beginning of your training. For the first few months, you should be quite moderate and let your body dictate you the tempo, because you can’t do anything if you force training. You’ll end up with severe muscle inflammation and various cycling syndromes. I don’t think you should cycle more than 10kmph. It will be just fine for your condition. If you feel that it’s too exhausting, slow down immediately. I wouldn’t suggest you to adjust your cycling routine in comparison with pro cyclists, because their trainings are more strenuous and since you won’t compete, you can take it slow.