Is it true that drinking too much water can be deadly? A friend of mine told me that his younger sister’s friend died after he drank two liters of water at once after his running training. I don’t know how that can be possible since I constantly read about the importance of hydrating during any sports activity, especially during hot summer days. I’m confused now, not to mention scared.

Hi Port,

Yes, too much water can be deadly.  it is called hyponatremia.  It affects your electrolytes in that the level of sodium becomes too low.  When that happens cells can swell.

In severe cases it can be fatal.

Yup dans right it also causes disruption of your electrical system so your nervous system malfunction and ca. Cause your heart to go into arrhythmias. Or worse stop beating all together!!!!

That’s nonsense! Who knows why the poor guy died! Maybe he had a heart condition he didn’t know about or some other illness. Besides, haven’t you heard that many young people train very hard and strenuously and that such incidents happen all the time because they neglect medical checkups and they really exaggerate sometimes? Maybe he drank very cold water after the training and we all know that body heats up very much during any physical activity and doctors constantly advise against drinking icy cold water, especially when it’s hot outside. That can actually lead to a heart attack. So, hydration is very important, but it has to be proper and correct. No cold water!

That is just nonsense, especially when you say it's just 2l of water. So the answer is no, you can not die from drinking water.

The answer to "can you die from drinking too much water" is definatly yes it is possible and does happen...... Now is 2 L "too much" almost certianly not .... Unless someone already has a severe electrolyte imbalance ...... The way the origionally question was phrased was can too much water be deadly.... And the answer is yes

she died after drinking 2 liters of water at once?
how can one drink that much water at once?

But yes, you can die because of water/.... but not if you drink 2 liters at once... you have to follow thta regime for quite some time to be deadly... there was a case in Britain I think - a woman died because she drunk too much water while on diet...

One should drink approximately 1,5 liter water on daily basis - at least. This is what nutritionists recommend...

I drink beer instead. ;)

We should drink proper amount of water.
Too much or too little quantity of water may be harmful for the health.
Normally 12 to 16 glasses of water are enough for the good health.

any comment?