Hi, folks. My cousin has been diagnosed with selective mutism. It seems that in certain situations he doesn’t speak a word. I would like to know if this condition could be gone spontaneously. Can anyone tell me this? I hope someone will answer my post. Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

Hello, there. You are right. Selective mutism is characterized by total mutism in certain situations. No one knows the exact cause for this. Some kids outgrow it. In another words, it can be gone spontaneously. However, this doesn’t happen always. That is why there must be a treatment. I hope your cousin will be all right. Good luck!

Good evening, everybody. A good friend of mine had selective mutism when he was little. However, he is now all right. He told me that he had simply outgrown it. I have read that this is not always a case. Sometimes it can lead to some psychological disorders like depression is. That is why the treatment must be done. There are better results if the treatment starts earlier. That is all I know. I hope this helps. Bye!