Good evening, folks. I have been having some problems with my kid. He has certain situations when he doesn’t speak at all. My friend tells me it could be selective mutism. I am not sure whether this is what is wrong with my son, but I would like to know how we treat it. Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. My cousin had selective mutism when she was younger. As far as I know, the treatment is complex. It involves some psychotherapeutic techniques. Nevertheless, drugs against anxiety are also recommended. I think that it is best to start the treatment as soon as possible. It is harder to treat it in later years. You should also expect from a person to start speaking at some time. It is wrong to exclude this person from any kind of communication. On the other hand, you shouldn’t try to make him talk forusing force. This simply isn’t productive.

Hello, there. Some experts say that many kids simply outgrow selective mutism. However, I think that intensive treatment is needed. Otherwise, a kid can develop a chronic depression or some other disorder. There are several treatment techniques. Stimulus fading is when a kid is brought into environment with a person that this kid is comfortable with. Desensitization involves some other ways of communications. Those would be: e-mailing or chat. Anti-anxiety drugs can also be recommended. I hope this helps.