hi, this is about my little girl who just turned 3, never talked to anyone at her daycare. however, we live in central america which everybody speak in spanish apparently my girl doesn't. so can u tell that my kid is selective mutism or lack of language skill?

More information is needed to determine if your daughter suffers from selective mutism. I assume that she speaks fine at home, and not at all at daycare. If she is with you and you speak to someone that she is not familiar with, will your daughter speak to that person as well. Does she look nervous when someone that she doesn't know well speaks to her? Does she speak to all close family members?

Selective mutism can surface when a child is in a bilingual setting as well, although it may not be the cause. Selective mutism is caused by anxiety and therapy can aid in reducing the anxiety and help a selectively mute child become comfortable enough to speak. Personally, my daughter is going through therapy and takes a low dose of medication and it is working very well.

RCormier
I hope all works out for your daughter

I imagine that it's simply lack of knowledge of the language. Little kids do pick up language rather quickly but since she doesn't speak any Spanish, she may feel self conscious about not understanding what is going on around her. Since she is very young though, she will probably pick up Spanish quickly and will talk to other kids soon enough.