Hello, folks. I have been talking to my friend and she told me that her kid was diagnosed with selective mutism. I know something about it, but I don’t know the reasons for its occurrence. I would like to know if someone could tell me something more about this. Thanks in advance.

Hello, there. As far as I know the exact reason for selective mutism is still unknown. Some experts claim that there is a genetic component. In any case, there can be some predisposition involved. Some researches show that there is a dysfunction in the brain area called amygdale. These kids are also anxious. The exact cause is still unknown. Your friend should consult an expert about this. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!

Hello, everyone. I have also read that the exact cause of selective mutism is unknown. There were some theories in the past that made abuse as a possible cause. However, there is no firm evidence for this. In fact, these theories about abuse are discharged. However, you can never tell what has been bothering a child. You should try to talk to him and find out. Let your friend work with experts. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!