Hey everyone,

I'm living a very healthy life, I'm eating healthy, I eat a lot of fish, a lot of fruits and vegetables every day, I go to the gym, I don't smoke nor drink. I am not using any drugs or medicines and I've been living like this for a very long time now.

But in the gym, I'm lifting a lot of weight, and sometimes at the house as well, I'm pretty strong so it's not really a big deal for me. But I recently discovered that weight lifting could make me feel heart pain. Is this true, can weight lifting really cause heart pain?

Good day there.

You can definitely have some chest pain while you are lifting weights. This happened to my husband because he is addicted to this. I am fighting with him all the time but he just don’t want to listen to me. Now, one day he came home from the gym and he told me that he has horrible heart pain. It came across my mind that he is probably dealing with chest pain caused by this, that he probably pulled or strained muscle.

But still, when you are feeling discomfort, I would go to see the doctor. Just in case.

Hello everyone. Generally, chest pain can be a form of a variety things, including heart problems, lung problems and some muscle problems. Look, it is very hard to provide a diagnosis without evaluating a patient in person, but generally pain that can be caused by lifting weight is not that much connected with chest pain. That is my opinion. I am running, that is my favorite sport activity and sometimes I have chest pain after this. When I went to see my doctor, he explained me that this is normal and that those things can happen. There is no need for panic.

Hello there.

I am lifting weights just like other guys in here. Actually, I was obsessed before until the same thing happened to me. I got really bad discomfort in my chest after my training. That pain didn’t disappear in three or four days, I just can’t remember anymore.

After almost a week I went to see my doctor. I forgot to tell you that I was lifting weights even when I was in pain.

Luckily, nothing serious was happening to me, I just stretched my muscle but he told me that I should be very careful with this because weight lifting sometimes can cause heart problems and heart pain.

Hey everyone. Similar situation happened with my dad. He was not gym obsessed but he was always lifting some things around house, some heavy objects. When this happened he felt sharp chest pain. This pain lasted for a couple of days.

My mom told him to visit the doctor because this can be caused by some heart issues. After he went to see the doctor, he told him that in his case tight constricting chest pain occurred because of angina, a mild form of ischemic heart disease.

So I don’t agree with some in here that this is probably nothing. In this case everyone should visit the doctor.

Hey everyone,

Well, if you already have some sort of a heart issue, a heart disorder or a heart disease, then you shouldn't really lift anything heavy, because it can cause additional complications to your current condition.

On the other hand, if you do not have any kind of a heart disorder, then lifting weight shouldn't really harm you. I mean, the pain that you feel is real, no question about that, but it is not heart pain, it is chest pain, and it is happening because you hurt your muscles. It's the same thing that happens to your leg muscles if you run a lot, when you force yourself a bit too much.

Hi everybody,

I can completely agree with what Adria wrote. I don't think either that lifting weight can cause heart pain, unless you are already suffering from a type of a heart disorder. Whatever you think that that pain could represent, whether you think it's heart pain or something similar, it can be nothing else but chest pain. This is, of course, I say it again, if you don't have any type of a heart disorder.

Everybody who lifts a lot of weight already knows this, and that's exactly why they don't make a big deal out of it. Because it's just muscle pain.