hello im 14 i do weights sometimes when i go to the gym, i have been lifting weights for 3 months most. it depends what weight i do on each machine it usually varies from 15kg-40kg (usually 25kg-35kg)  i do this 3 times a week for like 10-40 mins sometimes i do 55kg on 1 set of 5-10. Has this already affected my growth?  or if i dont stop now will it? because ive done some weights has this effected my growth already or will it effect me now even though ive stopped, or will my growth hormone (the one that me me tall) be daamaged now and wont make me grow? thanks.

Hi Connor,

Lifting even 55kg occasionally probably won't hurt but its not really recommended until your growth plates close.

It's not the hormone that gets damaged, it's the plates. Right now these plates are soft and until they "lock" you shouldn't try to lift heavy weights.

There's nothing wrong with working out but resistance traiing is usually best. It's easier on these plates. Be very cafeful with squatting. Make sure you use proper technique.

In a few years you can lift all you'd like.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply dan. as im 14 and been doing weights for about 3 months most. not the squating ones i mean the machine weights for example chest press,abdominal crunch,pull down etc not free hand just the machines do you think this has damaged my growth plates? and make me not grow as much now or at all? thank you :) reply again please :)

The machine weights are much safer than free weights.

I don't think you'll have damaged the epiphyseal plates on your bones.

Just do it in moderation and properly supervised. You'll be fine.