I am 14 years old, almost 5 foor 5 inches. I weigh about 90lbs, and am very skinny. I don't really play any sports but I am a rock climber. Climbing requires a lot of strength, but it's relative to your weight. For 90lbs, I'm really strong. But in 8th grade, most people weigh a lot more than 90. So I want to gain some weight, which will help me gain strength. I want to fill out, but I do not want to be big. I know that at 14 i don't have to worry to much about getting massive, but I want an exercise method that will help me gain strength not size. For example, martial artists are usually pretty small people, but also very strong. So I guess my question is: is there a weight lifting method which will make me stronger without making me much bigger? I have been told that high reps and low weight will do this, and high weight low reps will make you bigger.

Its not just about reps and weights but the fact that you mention it would indicate you are keen to use a gym. Find a good one and get some professional advice from an instructor - you don't need to join to get this information because a trial session will generally be possible.Other issues include your diet, fitness and general health. If you don't do any sport it will help if you improve your general fitness by running or cycling or similar. Then you will be better prepared to start improving your nutrition and beginning a total body muscle and body bulking regular workout.  Maybe read a few men's health magazines - there's lots of advice about your situation.

I actually learned what I know about weights from my dad. We have a friend though is a personal trainer and a climber. He said that I really shouldn't worry much about gaining weight since the only sport I do is rock climbing and you want to be light for that. He said that I should just eat well and cross train for climbing but I don't need to gain weight.

But now I guess my question is: is there a weight lifting method that will make me stronger without making me much bigger? If not, what should I do?