Hello, folks. I went to a doctor recently. My doctor suspects I have multiple sclerosis. I should go for MRI. I would like to know why this method is important for diagnosing this disease. Should I go for it? I would appreciate all your advices. Thanks for everything, guys. Bye, folks!

Hello. You should definitely go to MRI. This is safe method. It isn’t dangerous like X-ray or CT. There is no radiation. It is considered to be the best method for diagnosing MS. It can detect plaques that are characteristic for this disease. It is also great for tracking the progress of the disease. However, in 5% of the people with MS, there are no plaques. In this case, MRI can’t help much. I hope my advice helped.

The mri is easy to go through, a little claustrophobic and odd noises. Just relax and hold still. It is not definitive, however. My mri showed plaques, but my spinal fluid was clear. They say that means I don't have ms. However, I still have some lingering symptoms of my "spell". You will probably need both. Spinal taps are more difficult, but I have lived through two. Relax and breathe and make someone who owes you come with you for support.

I was disagnosed with MS about 17 years ago now. I'm sure I've had it since childhood however. In my case I live a very normal life, with one or two quite major differences. Such as energy levels and mobility issues which although are frustrating don't actually stop me from doing anything I want to do, all I need are lots of coffee shops and seats where I can rest, haha. So try not to worry to much, MS is something which you just have to learn to live with. Learn what your body needs and be persistent to get what you need to live a normal life. DON'T give in to it. As you know there is no cure currently, but there are some medications which help control the MS, slow down progress, lessen damage done by relapses and hasten recovery. So if you are offered one of the inteferon or steroid drugs, just say yes would be my advice. Both have supported me brilliantly. Talk openly and honestly with your specialists and MS nurses, they ARE your friends and will support and advice you, mine are brilliant. I still work full time in spite of the MS. Employers must by law ensure your work station is safe and they have to provide assessability equipment within reason to keep you in employment. I've never had a problem with my bosses, they understand when I relapse I often take up to 3 months to recover although of course that might be only every two or three years or so. Most important get your family involved; don't keep secrets from them; don't carry your worries alone, remember they are worried too and honest discussions will give them confidence and let them know how best to care for you. As far as friends go, you don't need to tell everyone, only those you feel confident with. If you tell them, let them know you won't fall apart before their eye's, you are the same person and you don't expect them to look after you like a baby when you are out, you will look after yourself and just enjoy their company as usual. I lost a couple of friends, simply because they didn't understand disability and were afraid. But most never flickered when I told them and are a great support. Most people WILL help when you need it most. Coping with MS just means you have to accept that you are not always going to be independant. The most important thing is - that you keep your sense of self respect and tell the world your REAL worth.

Kindest
Catherine :-D