Hi. I am 52 years old male. I live in NYC. I can`t afford to pay for medical care and I have some Qs about Medicaid. How do I qualify for Medicaid? Do I have to cancel other health insurance? I am in a nursing home and wonder can I still keep the part of my income? What health services are covered?

Hi. I use Medicaid and you may be covered with it if you have high medical bills, if you receive SSI, or if you meet certain income, or disability requirements. You don`t have to cancel any other health insurance you might have. Medicaid can pay the premiums, even if you are not eligible for Medicaid benefits. You can keep the part of your income. Medicaid allows you to keep small amounts for your personal needs. Services covered by Medicaid are smoking cessation agents, doctors and dentists, lab and x-ray services, inpatient/outpatient services, care in a nursing home, family planning services, meds, supplies, equipment, clinic services, transportation to medical appointments and other.