I recently found out that my ex was diagnosed with genital herpes. We broke up 4 months ago but I am still worried that I got it too. Can someone tell me more about this genital infection?

The best thing you can do is to go to your doctor. He will determine whether you got genital herpes or not. That is the only way you will be sure. Genital herpes is an infection with the herpes virus, called herpes simplex that is also responsible for ‘cold sores’ that occur on the face. Genital herpes can be transmitted during sex, by contact with someone who has the infection on their skin. You can also catch herpes from someone who has no visible herpes sores because about 3% of people carry the virus on their skin without knowing that they have it. The reason for this is that it has never given them any symptoms. This is one of the reasons it is important to use a condom with a new partner because it gives significant protection against genital herpes. If you want to know exactly if you got it, go to your doctor.