For the last few weeks I have been having some fluttering in my chest. I have had my doctor run some tests, but EKG showed normal activity. During the brief episodes I feel a somewhat numb sensation into my extremities. And during quiet, I can feel what almost sounds like the squeezing of a wet sponge in my head. So, what is it?

Any rapid heartbeat can give rise to this feeling "fluttering" in the chest. And if it is a rapid fluttering in the chest, it may be associated with sensation of pounding in the neck as well, due to simultaneous contraction of the upper, priming chambers of the heart and the lower, main pumping chambers. If the fluttering in the chest feels very irregular, then it is likely that the underlying rhythm is atrial fibrillation

I sometimes have the same thing - My chest flutters right smack in the center, It almost takes my breath for just a second and I can feel it into my throat slightly.
I have also found that it is related to my lungs and/or breathing tubes...Possibly from reflux or congestion.