I would like some suggestion from anyone who has this kind of experience. My wife was found to have a 10 cm diameter chocolate cyst in her left ovary. The doctor gave her the pregnancy control pills in order to stop the expansion of the cyst. However, the cyst broke around 1 month later so she got an emergency surgery for removing the broken cyst. It has been more than one month now since the surgery but her abdomain above her surgerical wound is still swell and hard. The CT scan showed that her intestine folded in an unusual way but it still works fine, no obstruction. I wonder if this problem is finally solved by itself. What shall we do? Is this problem serious? Please help.

she has endometriosis and she needs to get to an endometriosis expert fast.

I agree, get to another doctor for another opinion. Maybe a reproductive endocrinologist.

I have a chocolate cyst which was called a hemmoraghic cyst about 3 months ago when viewed on a sonogram. I was then scheduled for another sonogram 2 weeks ago. My GYN called me today and told me that the results show that I have an Endometrioma on my right ovary. Now I need to call my GYNs office to schedule another sonagram in 3 months and the pap smear since it's been almost a year (shy of 3 months). My GYN said that if the endometrioma hasn't grown, then it will most likely never grow larger. I have been taking hormones for about 6 months now to stop heavy menses as I am perimenopausal. I am now taking Prempro which has helped a great deal with heavy menses (I also have 3 fibroids which apparently cause the heavy bleeding) so that I now have a more normal 5-7 day menses and little spotting in between cycles. My GYN told me that just by the appearance, it looks like it is an Endometrioma and is NOT cancer. Of course I need to go in and see if it has grown...but being on hormone pills would (I assume) make a growth smaller. I am a little worried. Anyone out there going or have gone through the same experience?

Iwas found to have a 6 cm diameter chocolate cyst in my left ovary. I got a surgery for removing the cyst. It has been more than 2 weeks now since the surgery but my abdomain above mysurgerical wound is still swell and hard. What should I do?

My daughter 22 was told she had a 16cm mass on her right side. She always had problems from day one and was told more than once that she had less than one precent of ever having childern. The day we went to have the mass removed, we were told she was expecting! What a surprise to us all. She had to wait for the 2nd trimester and she just has surgery 2 weeks ago. The chocolste cyst was over 16 1/2 cm. Whenthe went to remove it, it burst. She has to take hormones to help with caring the baby but so far so good. She is still in a lot of pain and not able to eat much. But aleast they made it. I will keep each and everyone of you in my prayers. I too had it many years ago and its not easy.

I am 34, I recently had surgery to remove what my doctor called a Dermoid Cyst. Reading the description of a "Chocolate Cyst", I believe it is the same thing. I had three opinions and they all said it was on my right ovary. After surgery I found out that the cyst was so big that it was actually my left ovary that shadowed my right ovary. They had to remove my left ovary completely because the mass was 325 grams! The average woman's uterus is about 90 grams. I still can have kids. Thank you Jesus. I recommend that women get sonograms with their pelvic exams every year. This cyst had being growing in my teen years.

Guest,
I just got out of the hospital after what turned into a full Hysto. They had hoped to just lap, and keep 1 ovary at least, but ended up with a full cut to remove my 5 cysts (1 chocolate), 2 fibroids, a polyp. But my stuff was such a mess--scar tissue attaching everything to my bowels, fallopian tubes like sausages, etc.

2 things:
1. You need to look into a procedure called: Endometrial Ablation (look at trade name NovaSure) This should stop your bleeding altogether, and maybe forever. I was going to have this before they found out what a mess I had inside me. I too was perimeno.

2. Get yourself to the best gyn you can find. You shouldn't have to live with this stuff like I did for too long.

Take the time to take care of yourself with the best people you can find. I'm sure that most cases are NOT like mine, but it was causing a host of other problems--like digestive issues--that you just shouldn't have to live with. Can you tell I'm on a mission? I can't wait to get back on my feet, and feel healthy.

Good luck!

Hello - i have suffered from pain since last Sept. It started with a bad bad and then sharpe pains in my side. It was finally found that i had a Chocolate cyst on my left ovary. I went to have this removed on March this year and was told that it would be key hole surgery- however this was not the case and due to complications i had to be opened up to stop some bleeding. The recovery time was longer and i had to have Zoladecx injections for 3 months to stop my monthly cycle and to allow things to heal.

my cycle returned this july and i was so excited that i could get back to normal as the pain had gone however this did not last - i have just had scan and it shows that i know have a 6cm choc cyst on my right ovary!

im so upset and in pain again - this time my right leg and hip. I am so desprate to start a family but i dont know what will happen now! Consultant does not want to operate again as he thinks that he will have to remove the the right ovary :-(

Has anyone had babies whilst they had a choc cyst/ endo?!

So sad but living in hope.

My understanding is that you will be able to have a baby even with a chocolate cyst but my question is this: why don't you try using a surrogate? I think that if you have issues like this and you want to start a family, that might help you a little. What do you think?

I new of several people who were not only able to get rid of their ovarian cysts but the cysts also never returned. You can see this product at

Best of luck! Hope this helps :-)

i had my chocolate cyst removed 9 mos ago..and had taken nothing for a very long time and i think everything went normal..just that my skin becomes dry because of the removal of my right ovary itself...so right now showuld i worry that the cyst will come up again and invade my left ovary? what will i do?? please need help?

I am nineteen and I have been diagnosed with endometriosis. I had a laproscopic surgery, but it's been a year and a three months, and I'm having enormous problems. Although I'm on seasonique, I have a heavy period almost every month, I have severe pain in my right front side, which just recently moved to my left front side , so it happens on both sides. The pain makes me unable to walk, I've peed myself a couple times. I'm afraid I've had endometriosis since I hit puberty at age 9. I recently have had the severe pain three times in one week, which prompted me to go to the emergency room. All the doctors did was give me pain killers and told me to go home. I've gained 40 pounds since my surgery a year and 3 months ago, my pain continues to get worse. I'm often very bloated and heavily fatigued, and I'm terrified of ever having this pain again. Can anyone help?

I'm 43 years old and am 9 days post-hysterectomy for two "chocolate" ovarian cysts (11 cm on the right ovary, and 6 cm on the left).  Originally, the gynecological oncologist thought them to be stage 1 "borderline" tumors, but turns out I have endometriosis and didn't know  I thought everyone's periods were as rough as mine all these years.   As I have two kids and had not planned to have more, and my reproductive system was such a mess, the complete hysto made sense (not to mention a family history of breast cancer, which is linked to ovarian cancer).  They found endometriosis in lots of places, so now I'm interested in managing it.
I have a massage therapist who suggests that, as soon as the surgery site is healed well, we do massage work to break up the scar tissue before it gets to solidified.  Yoga to get things stretching and moving will also likely help.  Maybe that would help those of you who have hard lumps at your surgical sites?
Hopelaf, all of your symptoms sound like mine before the cysts were found (pain, bloating, urinary incontinence).  I suggest you ask your doctor for a transvaginal ultrasound to make sure you also don't have ovarian endometrial cysts.  If you do, they could be removed.  These kind can rupture, so it's good to get it checked out.

Dear frnd,

This is really a serious problem coz overian cyst is vry much nagging,u need a goog doctor for consultation,i'm undergoing wth the same problem though,is was not broken but a complete chocolate cyst n having pills for more than fifteen years now i m married n very much scared to take more pills due to its side effects.best of luck:|